Mattress toppers are they any good/Getting comfy at night?

Options
sharmaine
sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
edited 30. Jul 2009, 06:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm thinking about getting a mattress topper. Are they any good? What would you suggest?

My friends mum has a feather and down one and she says it's like sleeping on a cloud. She tried memory foam but hated it. I just want some extra comfort esp with OA in my knees. I've thought about buying memory foam pillows but the ones I've seen are too small.

I bought a support cushion that elevates your legs at night but I just cant' get on with it - it's too rigid. It's useful to put behind my back when I'm watching my tv and lying down for short periods. I'm back to using my pillows to prop my legs up. Any tips appreciated.

Regards
Sharmaine

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I have a memory foam mattress topper and pillow and find that they help a lot, but the foam isn't exactly soft, it sort of moulds itself somehow round you. :oops: Well not all the way round! :lol: Its one of the best buys and when we change mattresses I'll buy the proper mattress. :D Makes me feel tired thinking about it.
    Love Sue
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    hi,i have the memory foamer topper & its lovely.its defenately helped me to get more comfy at night & i drift off quickly.
    i was getting a lot of hip pain when i laid on my left side but the topper has eased that pain off.i sleep with an extra pillow between my knees & prop the pillows up so there level with my shoulders as i sleep on my side.this has helped lots.
    i still wake on turning but find i get straight back off since i had the topper best £100 ive ever spent,i'd recommend 1 to any1 with joint pain.
    the memory foam pillows i couldnt get on with,so they were a waste of money.
    good luck, lots on here have brought them & swear by them.
    debsx
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi
    I invested in a memory foam topper before my THR and would recommend it to anyone with joint pain. My friend has a feather/down one which I have tried and also liked, but not as much as the memory foam. I haven`t tried the pillows but heard someone talk about a `butterfly` pillow which you fasten around/between your knees and it can `vibrate ` too I think. It was on Amazon . (sorry if I`m not supposed to write that)
    Good luck x
    NB
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Sharmaine

Hope you are doing OK. I bought a memory foam topper a few months ago, quite expensive and it was a rip off. Just lasted until 2 days after the 30 day return date. Someone told me to try A**os which I did. Not only cheaper but it has really made a difference.

Have you thought about a wedge that goes under your mattress to elevate your legs? Not sure how well they work but I have seen them.

Love
    Vonski x
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Hi Sharmaine
    I have a memory foam mattress and pillow I think they are great they do mould to your body and getting out of the mattress in the morning is sometimes not as easy as a spring mattress, the pillows are great as I have always had a problem with the pillows because I have OA in my neck and I have normal shaped pillows not these weird shaped ones.
    Denise
  • elaine1033
    elaine1033 Member Posts: 47
    Options
    sharmaine wrote:
    I'm thinking about getting a mattress topper. Are they any good? What would you suggest?

My friends mum has a feather and down one and she says it's like sleeping on a cloud. She tried memory foam but hated it. I just want some extra comfort esp with OA in my knees. I've thought about buying memory foam pillows but the ones I've seen are too small.

I bought a support cushion that elevates your legs at night but I just cant' get on with it - it's too rigid. It's useful to put behind my back when I'm watching my tv and lying down for short periods. I'm back to using my pillows to prop my legs up. Any tips appreciated.

Regards
    Sharmaine
    the memory foam mattress toppers are great u still need an xtra pillow for ur knees.as 4 the m/foam pillows they were 2 hard 2 lay on no good :x
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    read this with intrest as ive often wonderd about these, so you would recomend them then for peeps like me who are in bed for 30 mins and then the pain comes in the hips and knees .......... lord i wish i had some spare pennys :roll:
    i had to get mine from the catalogue as couldnt find £100 to pay straight out,about £2 a wk.well worth it for me.now i so look forward to going to bed instead of dreading it.
    even if i cant sleep at least i can get comfy & its nice for a lay down in the afternoon.yes i do find it takes the pressure off your joints too,especially my hip.
    hope that helps. debsx
  • elaine1033
    elaine1033 Member Posts: 47
    Options
    read this with intrest as ive often wonderd about these, so you would recomend them then for peeps like me who are in bed for 30 mins and then the pain comes in the hips and knees .......... lord i wish i had some spare pennys :roll:
    i got mine for 49pound in £stretchers :o
  • ritnew
    ritnew Member Posts: 338
    Options
    I've got a memory mattress which I've found great. Not sure who it was but someone on here suggested putting a duvet on top of it so you not only get the support of the mattress you get the softness of the duvet, it's worked for me.
    I have memory pillows as well, which I can't get on with so I use them as back support in the armchair or when I'm reading in bed, great for that.
    I got all these from the auction site, cheaper than the shops.

Rita X
  • topcatt
    topcatt Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Ive got a mattress with a memory foam layer which is great - the mattress doesnt need turning either. I found the complete memory foam mattresses too soft and difficult to get off!! I also have a feather bed which I used on my previous mattress. It is lovely - soft and cool but cosy in winter but I can't use it anymore because of the weight of it( having arthritis in my hands means I can't fluff it up). So choice is yours but memory foam easier to maintain.
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi everyone

Thanks for the advice/tips etc. I'll look around. I love the sound of putting the duvet on top of my mattress! I won't want to get out of bed. I'll shop around for one.
    Sharmaine

49p !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: your kidding !! :shock:

im really tempted now reading this, but with me being sick and no wage ectect i dare not do anything at the mo till bennifits are sorted and that may take a few more weeks yet .

lol had to laf coz ive done the duvet bit under my bottom sheet thingy :lol: its softer and i can feel the nobley bits on the mattres now :wink: