public transport

Options
jordan7j
jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
edited 29. Jul 2009, 15:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all :) Just wondering if other people have problems with travelling? I dont drive, and live in London, so should be ok, but reality is different! Where i live there is only one bus on the route, it gets very busy at all times, and therefore difficult to get seat. I find it hard to stand too long, even holding onto the bar is painful (I have both RA and OA) The main problem is although there are seats which are meant to be given up by healthy people so that disabled/pregnant/or mums with small babies can sit down, you find that they wont move, even when asked to do so. I understand it doesn't appear obvious that i have a problem, even if using a stick, i suppose they assume it s a temporary problem. Sometimes the journey to hospital appointments (a 20 minjourney) is very tiring as i have had to stand all the way, when i get off i can hardly walk through the hospital, wondering if anyone else has this problem,and any advice. thanks Jay

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jay

Have you thought of perhaps explaining to the driver when you get on the bus, your predicament and maybe he can ask someone to move for you, from the allocated seats for disabled/pregnant/mums with small children, seats.

Have you thought of getting a blue badge and then you could show the driver this to prove you need one of those seats and/or show it to the member of the public you have asked to move if they choose not to do so. You could have a chat to your gp about this and why it would help you to have one, although you do not drive.

Are you ok getting into the bus or do you have to ask the driver to lower the platform for you before you can get on? If so, surely that would be proof enough to the driver that you require a seat during your journey.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.