HI....recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis need advice

vickyg
vickyg Member Posts: 13
edited 26. Aug 2009, 15:10 in Say Hello Archive
Hi Vicky here,

I am a 36yr old mum of 4 children aged 9,6,2 and 5mths.

I have been having problems with my hip,pain and not been able to raise it my leg i.e. waking upstairs,walkslonger than 10mins,I had various blood tests(already got hypothyroidism)and an x ray for which they have said I have degeneration in the joints and said it is osteoarthritis.

The doctor was a locum and not much cop,told me tto take fish oil and glucosamine and not worry about it :shock:

Well I am,I have 4 children under 10,I am an oil industry widowmy hubby is away 14 days at a time,I need to feel better so I can enjoy life. I am not convinced it is just that as I have other symptoms too

pain in my hands and wrists and lack of grip(told it was pregnancy carpal tunnel but still have it),very tired yet my thyroid is fine and under control,hair loss,just generally not myself!!!

So if anyone has any great advice that would be great!!!

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Vicky,

Welcome firstly to the group. They are a nice lot here. I hope you find it useful.

I can't help thinking you should see a different doctor......... It may be 'just' early onset but you must have loads of questions and also the fact other joints seem to be playing up does make me think you need a referral to make sure exactly what is going on.

I think you should post over on the living with arthritis forum as more people will see it.

If its carpal tunnel you really should be seeing a consultant. Make an appointment with a diff doctor and ask to be seen by someone at the hospital. That may be a osteo or rumo consultant.

There is a phone number at the top of the page and you could either contact the help lines or email then in the chat to help line forum. You also will find a lot of stuff on the site for oa.

Don't let it worry you too much though cus once on the right medication etc you should be fine. I just think you need to get a referral.
    Take care, Cris
  • vickyg
    vickyg Member Posts: 13
    Thankyou Cris!!!

I have had the rumo blood test which came back positive but it was dead low like 8,so I was told don't worry,I think I will be going back next week,like you say I have loads of questions and to be sent away with the take glucosamine and omega 3 etc and that is it,isn't nice especially when the pain makes me hobble sometimes as it is worse in my right hip joint!!

I will post over in the Living with forum too thanks for your advice!!!
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Vicky,

Welcome firstly to the group. They are a nice lot here. I hope you find it useful.

I can't help thinking you should see a different doctor......... It may be 'just' early onset but you must have loads of questions and also the fact other joints seem to be playing up does make me think you need a referral to make sure exactly what is going on.

I think you should post over on the living with arthritis forum as more people will see it.

If its carpal tunnel you really should be seeing a consultant. Make an appointment with a diff doctor and ask to be seen by someone at the hospital. That may be a osteo or rumo consultant.

There is a phone number at the top of the page and you could either contact the help lines or email then in the chat to help line forum. You also will find a lot of stuff on the site for oa.

Don't let it worry you too much though cus once on the right medication etc you should be fine. I just think you need to get a referral.
    Take care, Cris
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Vicky,

Hey you need to go back and see a different doctor and get a referral especially id you had a positive test result, how ever low. I think if you have pain that is interfering with your life you need a bit more than a bit of glucostimin and omega 3! You dig in a bit and see someone else. Look forward to seeing you post and other people will also tell you go back and see someone else :wink: Take care, Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Vicky
    Welcome from me too!
    I endorse tortally whjat Cris has said you need to get back to the Dr (a dif one if poss) and then get referred to a rheumy. Then you will get some meds to help.
    Blimey you have enough on your plate without all this too :shock: Some Drs are pretty useless aren't they?!!! :wink:
    Look forward to seeing you on the other forums soon.
    Toni x
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    I'm just now trying to catch up on posts. I see you wrote on 17th that you were going back to the Dr's. I do hope you've gotten some help with the pain and have had a referral to Rheumatology. It is important to know that you can start medication in order to prevent further progression of this awful disease. Good luck.
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Hi Vicky,

Wow! Four young children - how lovely but I can't help feeling exhausted thinking of how you cope! And your OH away half the time! I hope you have plenty of family/friends who can help you out when you need it......?

Welcome to the forum, you'll have lots of cyber-mates on here to chat to and get help and advice if needed. Or the Chitchat forum is great, qute lighthearted - we 'chat' about anything on there :)

Jackie