Hello nice to meet you all

mandy46
mandy46 Member Posts: 3
edited 26. Aug 2009, 15:12 in Say Hello Archive
Hi,
I have just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my knee, I also have experienced discomfort in my fingers , and at 46 I was surprised. My father has suffered with OT in his knees and around his body,so I guess I have him to Thank.
I am now trying to minimise the effect on me. I have started taking glucosamine 1500mg, chrotamitin 350mg and cod liver oil 500mg tablets.I already exercise regularly, but I intend to increase this, as my GP said to do as much exercise as was comfortable, but rest when knee hurts. Has anyone any other advice on how to minimise my condition. Thank you.
Mandy :)

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Mandy
    Welcome to the site from me!
    Have a look round and you will see how not-alone you are. Lots of us are younger than the steryotype of a person with arthritis.
    Has anyone suggetsed you try things like heat (wheatbags) or cold (icepacks - COVERED) for your knee when it is bad?
    Feel free to come on here for advice (living with arthritis forum) work related isues (work matters forum) or just for a laugh (chit chat).
    Very pleased to meet you.
    Take care
    Toni x
  • mandy46
    mandy46 Member Posts: 3
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Mandy
    Welcome to the site from me!
    Have a look round and you will see how not-alone you are. Lots of us are younger than the steryotype of a person with arthritis.
    Has anyone suggetsed you try things like heat (wheatbags) or cold (icepacks - COVERED) for your knee when it is bad?
    Feel free to come on here for advice (living with arthritis forum) work related isues (work matters forum) or just for a laugh (chit chat).
    Very pleased to meet you.
    Take care
    Toni x

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. :)
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Mandy,

Welcome to the site, they are a good lot here. I got it early as well and it does come as a bit of a shock as I remember. I think Toni's advice will help you and by keeping it moving without annoying it is a very good idea. Take care Cris
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Mandy

Welcome to the forum, from another who has oa in thumbs, spine, knees, and so on!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Do join us on the other forums and ask as many questions as you like. We all offer our help and sympathy. More people will see your postings if you call in on the other zones.

Non weight bearing exercises are good for the knees. Use it or lose it, I say and anti inflammatories and painkillers help to be able to do this too. Heat and ice helps as well and also rest and trying not to overdo things, difficult though that is. We learn by our mistakes, though ....... sometimes. :wink::lol:

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    Welcome Mandy,hope you find all the support etc you need on here ,there's a great helpline and the peeps on here are fantastic.See you around the forums.
    Linda H 8)
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Welcome Mandy, I'm sure you will find everyone here as supportive friendly and informative as I have.
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Hi Mandy,

Just wanted to add my 'hello and welcome to the forum' too :)

Jackie