Things I'd like to do......

Options
kickyloo
kickyloo Member Posts: 66
edited 24. Aug 2009, 13:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Give my house a good clean (I'm surrounded by dust but can't hold a duster)
Go for a long run on the tread mill with my ipod loud (but my feet and knees could not stand the pounding)
Iron my crinkly clothes (but I don't have the strength to co-ordinate moving an iron)
Go drinking and dancing with friends (but I'm asleep after one drink and again the old feet and knees can't support dancing)
Go to work and be someone of value (I am of no worth to anyone at the moment)
Go ski-ing
Go to a theme park and behave like a child on the rides
Have "$*£" with the hubby :oops:
Go a day without popping pills

Instead I have done nothing for 6 months. I have had good days and bad days, sometimes I admit I've overdone things but sometimes, like yesterday, there is no damn reason for being in pain and not being able to move my hands. I am in limbo waiting for this to get better, to be able to re-start my life, but knowing that some of those things on the list I'm not ever going to be able to do again.

I'm bored and fed up.

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi been there the frustration at not being able to do all u would wish. i am not bad with oa but for the last few months have not been able to walk 20 min with out bad flare up. at this time wanted to.
    wash kitchen floor
    sort out wall
    cut grass still not done
    wash nets/clean windows
    catch up on house work
    go out with oh and enjoy it
    doing jobs bit at a time will get some done
    val
  • lesleygraham
    lesleygraham Member Posts: 91
    Options
    Hi folks
    A burst of energy would be nice.
    As would no pain and stiffness.
    My hubby is currently converting our spare bedroom into an en-suite and there is muck and dust everywhere. Cleaning up after himself doesn't come naturally!!! I love to be able to clean the house top to bottom without it crippling me, like I used to in half the time.
    I'd also love the kids to do as they are told first time - then I could get them to do it for me !!! If only......
    So much to do with so little energy.
    Les
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi, mines really relate to what I did before and things I had planned to do with my kids.

Teach my daughter majorettes and gymnastics (I had competed competitively even through childhood illness)

Go to the pictures.

Go to a music festival.

Do the moonwalk again for Breast Cancer, marathon walk in your bra!

Wear a nice pair of heels without having to take them off again half an hour later.

Bath my son (have never been able to do this)

Dance around the house when a good song comes on.

I could be here all day!
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I have managed a couple of these since having my hip done.
    I have managed to move my top half to music but dare not move the feet.But I can feel life returning to the old bones.
    Even managed a few moves with the OH (you know what I mean).

I am like a kid in a candy shop at the mo.
    I just hope it lasts.

Take care Tkachev
    Ps. I did Gymnastics too.Still follow it but dont think I will manage to go to the world champs in October, all those stairs,sitting still for ages,toilets and crowds.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi fingers crossed it keeps getting better and better makes so much difference to how u look at life and its challenges
    val
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Kickyloo,

I think we must all grieve for our past lives and all we did before but I think we also have to move forward and find something that we can do happily and comfortably now.

Do you have anything that you've always wanted to do and never had the time because you were always rushing around?

I've found many interests since having RA and get alot of pleasure from my hobbies ...... and I used to be a cyclist, swimmer and have climbed the mountains of Austria etc.

You may get spells where you can do the things you used to but in the meantime don't just sit waiting for that time to come back, try new things, then you won't feel bored or useless (which I'm sure you're not :wink: ).

Hope you find something that suits you.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Kicky,

I am sorry your feeling bored and fed up but I just have to say YOU ARE VAULABLE! You are still you just there are some restrictions on you thats all, Big all I know. I hope you soon can as Legs said find something that you enjoy doing to replace the things you miss but please remember you are very valuable and have true worth.

I know it sounds stupid but you do, with time, let go the things you can't do and it does get easier.

What I have given up would be a long list but I prefer to think of what I can do and find a way round some of it by doing that.

My worst thing is I have lost most of my strength, I did used to be very strong and that's helped but I would give anything to be able to start my strimmer........ Got visitors tomorrow and they will start it! :lol: Its a sort of ritual all visitors find them selves doing....

Kicky a hug for you and please I promise you you are not worthless at all. Cris x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Its horrible to feel so down! :( I feel a bit like that today, maybe its the weather! Some days I feel I can cope and manage to do a lot more, others, like today, I feel sllll. I hope you soon feel a bit better. Take care, love Sue
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Kicky, I know this might sound weird but I would love to be able to walk round the shops instead of ordering at home, Malcolm and I used to take my mum to a garden centre and a shop that sells birds, she is dead now, and it would be great to spend some time with her as I miss her so much.

I would to go back to before I was diagnosed with RA, maybe I wouldn't take things for granted as I did love Jaspercatxx
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    Hi Kickyloo,

I think we must all grieve for our past lives and all we did before but I think we also have to move forward and find something that we can do happily and comfortably now.

Do you have anything that you've always wanted to do and never had the time because you were always rushing around?

I've found many interests since having RA and get alot of pleasure from my hobbies ...... and I used to be a cyclist, swimmer and have climbed the mountains of Austria etc.

You may get spells where you can do the things you used to but in the meantime don't just sit waiting for that time to come back, try new things, then you won't feel bored or useless (which I'm sure you're not :wink: ).

Hope you find something that suits you.

Luv Legs :D

Hi Legs!

It sounds so cliched but this is something I've mentioned before, I don't often say take up a hobby as the person might think urggghh.After my daughter was born I suddenly rekindled my passion for Barbies. Because I can sit down to do these things it is something I can do instead, as I said in the happy memories post, some relate to home made things my Mum made for my Barbies. I have -

Renovated a vintage Barbie house, it has funky black and white walls, a tiled bathroom, widescreen TV. Corner vivid red sofa with black and white scatter cushions and matching rug.

I renovated a vintage working Sindy kitchen into a fab Red and Silver retro diner! It has a table with the fablon that is silver holographic squares. Everyone says it's amazing and I should make to sell.

I learned to sew, I bought sewing for Dummies and got started making vintage Barbie clothes for a Silkstone Barbie.

I bought a Silkstone Barbie, Case and full wardrobe of clothes, this is not for playing with but rather an inheritance.

I bought 20 vintage Barbies, over a hundred outfits and shoes etc, again - an inheritance, all the Barbies were from the 80's and still in their boxes as were all the clothes!!

But the best thing of all - None of this cost me any money!!!! I sold all the kids old Gap, Next and labelled clothes on ebay. Old baby items like monitors, blankets, the works. I bought everything from ebay with the proceeeds. Only cost me a bit of effort and many trips to the PO, but my Health Visitor was very pleased as it got me out the house! :D
  • bionic
    bionic Member Posts: 75
    Options
    kickyloo wrote:
    Give my house a good clean (I'm surrounded by dust but can't hold a duster)
    Go for a long run on the tread mill with my ipod loud (but my feet and knees could not stand the pounding)
    Iron my crinkly clothes (but I don't have the strength to co-ordinate moving an iron)
    Go drinking and dancing with friends (but I'm asleep after one drink and again the old feet and knees can't support dancing)
    Go to work and be someone of value (I am of no worth to anyone at the moment)
    Go ski-ing
    Go to a theme park and behave like a child on the rides
    Have "$*£" with the hubby :oops:
    Go a day without popping pil

Instead I have done nothing for 6 months. I have had good days and bad days, sometimes I admit I've overdone things but sometimes, like yesterday, there is no damn reason for being in pain and not being able to move my hands. I am in limbo waiting for this to get better, to be able to re-start my life, but knowing that some of those things on the list I'm not ever going to be able to do again.

I'm bored and fed up.

:( Know what you mean just need the energy ........ the mind is willing but the body weak !!!!!!

Take care

Rosie X
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Legs!

It sounds so cliched but this is something I've mentioned before, I don't often say take up a hobby as the person might think urggghh.After my daughter was born I suddenly rekindled my passion for Barbies. Because I can sit down to do these things it is something I can do instead, as I said in the happy memories post,.......... like monitors, blankets, the works. I bought everything from ebay with the proceeeds. Only cost me a bit of effort and many trips to the PO, but my Health Visitor was very pleased as it got me out the house! :D

Alex, I'm so impressed.

You obviously, like me, found a hidden talent :D

Mine's water colour painting - I didn't know I could do this until 2 years after contracting RA - I exhibit (a bit) and have sold paintings and I have a whole new group of arty friends.

I also go to French language classess (I'm still rubbish :roll: ) and have found another group of lovely people and there are other things I do now that I never imagined I could do.

A hobby is absorbing and satisfying and takes our mind off other things.

You never know you could start a cottage industry one day.

Luv Legs XX
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    Hi Legs!

It sounds so cliched but this is something I've mentioned before, I don't often say take up a hobby as the person might think urggghh.After my daughter was born I suddenly rekindled my passion for Barbies. Because I can sit down to do these things it is something I can do instead, as I said in the happy memories post,.......... like monitors, blankets, the works. I bought everything from ebay with the proceeeds. Only cost me a bit of effort and many trips to the PO, but my Health Visitor was very pleased as it got me out the house! :D

Alex, I'm so impressed.

You obviously, like me, found a hidden talent :D

Mine's water colour painting - I didn't know I could do this until 2 years after contracting RA - I exhibit (a bit) and have sold paintings and I have a whole new group of arty friends.

I also go to French language classess (I'm still rubbish :roll: ) and have found another group of lovely people and there are other things I do now that I never imagined I could do.

A hobby is absorbing and satisfying and takes our mind off other things.

You never know you could start a cottage industry one day.

Luv Legs XX

Legs that's wonderful. We both have done the same thing, realised what we can't do and sat and thought "well what can I do then?". I'm so pleased too that your passion has been appreciated by others. Mines is just Barbie stuff but doesn't it feel so good to watch someone's face when they see it. This sounds like I'm looking for praise but to have them say "you never made that" is wonderful. It shows they are impressed. I definitely recommend to anyone to sit and have a think of something they maybe enjoyed in the past or ever wanted to do to have the confidence to try it. Don't be upset when your first efforts go all Pete Tong!! I've had many a Pete moment before I got to the competent stages. Arms falling off Barbie's dress the first time my daughter put it on :oops: But I persevered. It really is worth a shot folks.

x