Heavy arms & feeling lazy

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 24. Aug 2009, 08:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I feel lazy these days. I have OA in my hands, wrists, neck & lumber disks & hip. I can still do most things but I would love to have a day when I wake up and feel as if I actully want to do things. I have to really push myself to start something. Then I am alright as long as I don't stop. Stopping means I can't get going again and the stiffness and pain starts. Been told to pace things, but its harder to to little bits and stop, then go back and do a bit more later. I'm sure some of this is me being lazy. :( I can't believe that 3 years ago, when we first moved into this house, I decorated it, top to bottom in the 3 weeks I took off work! :shock:

My arms feel really heavy at the moment and when I touch the shouler muscles and the tops of my arms it hurts. I have swelling on my elbows. I'm wondering about the diagnosis, it doesn't fit, but then, does that make a difference to how I feel. A diagnosis is only a name! Lifting my arms up to brush my hair or something is painful. Sorry, a bit low today, as husband has gone back to school after the long break! Just having a down day, I think. :( Sorry, winge over :roll: :wink::)

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dear Sue :D

Please do not beat yourself up about having a bad day when all is a real effort. You may be feeling extra sensitive because your husband has returned to work today and it brings it all back very strongly to you that you had to give up a job you loved due to ill health. You are at home now all the time. He has been home too with you and now you are home alone.

Do you try to exercise your arms even if it is painful? I know it hurts big time but if the muscles are not used, they will weaken. What does your gp say about exercising your arms?

I don't think you will be down for very long. That is not your style, Sue. We are entitled to feel sorry for ourselves. I think so anyway. I am sure you will "bounce" back very soon.

I find that now I do not work and have not for a number of years, I have slowed down and think, I have all day, or there is always tomorrow. When I was working things just got done, without even thinking about them. I was also not on here, which takes hours of my time but I enjoy it so why not?

Chin up, luvvy,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    So sorry to hear you're having such a rough time today. It's difficult sometimes to keep your spirits up I know. Sometimes no matter how upbeat we try to be, pain can get us down. As this is quite new pain that you have in your arms / shoulders I'd get an appointment with your GP just to check it out and maybe get some different painkillers. Try to take it easy for a day or so and be kind to yourself.
    I do hope you feel more like your old self soon.
    bye for now
    rita
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi get same kind of thing when having flare up taken months but now feel not only able to do things but want to as do not feel even easyest of task will cause pain for days hovered front room replaced rug done dishes even called sky. if u not on anti inflam tabs might b worth asking gp if u need them blood test will tell if inflimation present. hope u get better soon know how hard life can be when it takes so much energy to do the simpalest task
    val
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Sue,

Sorry you're feeling down. :(

I think our limbs do feel heavy when we're in pain - it's all to do with the will power it takes to move them.

As Rita says it might be a good idea to see your GP - I don't agreed with you about diagnosis being just a name, if a wrong diagnosis has been made it means you could need different drugs other than the ones you're on.

I'm impressed that you decorated your house in 3 weeks :o - but don't be hard on yourself now because then you weren't battling with the pain. It makes such a difference.

Hope you start to pick-up soon.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Thank you all, I've just rung my GP, but can't see her until 14 Sept, as shes on holiday. I want to see the same gp as she knows me and I'd like to keep to the same person. I've just taken my temp
    as I feel so hot and funny and its up a little. Mybe i've picked up a bug somewhere. Just did a bit of dusting as the cats are moulting! I'll leave it at that, temp is a good excuse! :wink:

I suppose all the stress in the past few months is catching up, what with trips to see my neice and husband who is very ill, but doing well, having my hand op and then falling on it! I would like a blood test though, just to be safe, Linda is right, I know, and my gP did say a while back, I should have one but having my hand op got in the way. Take care, Love Sue :wink:

PS All I did when I decorated was paint the walls, you should have seen the colours! 4 different colours on the lounge walls! :shock: