had a smashing walk today

Options
nick55
nick55 Member Posts: 119
edited 24. Aug 2009, 13:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
although my intention was to walk alone and enjoy the scenery alone, there were so many people about, along the snowdonia coast. i wanted a longish walk, and went from Aber to llanfairfechan, about eight miles there and back. I used the walking pole and was almost at my limit I think, but the legs bore up well. I tend to rest a few days then do a walk, this way it keeps the muscles and joints strong.
it occurs to me how important it is to look outward, it is so easy to be introspective, one of my old faults. So many problems in the world, we forget how much is truly beautiful and inspiring all round us. and I mean people as well as the countryside

I notice even as one tries to be alone in ones own company others are only too happy and anxious to talk, there seems no greater friendship shown than between strangers, meeting for the first time in our beautiful countryside. it almost makes all the pains of arthritis worthwhile - though not quite.

I notice how easy it is to turn back as soon as the first aches come in our joints, but I seldom do. it is rare that exercise causes any lasting pain or damage, even if we over do it, and i do many times, and how fast the joints recover. i talk about osteo here. i have had a lot of pain but again one learns to laugh at it- and keep taking the tablets!!!! knowing it will be gone the next day.
just a few thoughts, i hope i am permitted them , and i hope the weather is fine where you are,

best wishes,

Nick

Comments

• eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Nick

Wow, well done for taking on such a big task and that you thoroughly enjoyed it. I agree with you about the strangers part, I used to love taking my dog for big walks and would always stop and speak to the other dog owners or passers by and they would be so friendly.

I wish I could have done this, I told my physio one of my goals is to walk the dog again.

You have managed to beat the arthritis today. What a nice story, thank you for sharing it with us.

Eck
  • bionic
    bionic Member Posts: 75
    Options
    nick55 wrote:
    although my intention was to walk alone and enjoy the scenery alone, there were so many people about, along the snowdonia coast. i wanted a longish walk, and went from Aber to llanfairfechan, about eight miles there and back. I used the walking pole and was almost at my limit I think, but the legs bore up well. I tend to rest a few days then do a walk, this way it keeps the muscles and joints strong.
    it occurs to me how important it is to look outward, it is so easy to be introspective, one of my old faults. So many problems in the world, we forget how much is truly beautiful and inspiring all round us. and I mean people as well as the countryside

I notice even as one tries to be alone in ones own company others are only too happy and anxious to talk, there seems no greater friendship shown than between strangers, meeting for the first time in our beautiful countryside. it almost makes all the pains of arthritis worthwhile - though not quite.

I notice how easy it is to turn back as soon as the first aches come in our joints, but I seldom do. it is rare that exercise causes any lasting pain or damage, even if we over do it, and i do many times, and how fast the joints recover. i talk about osteo here. i have had a lot of pain but again one learns to laugh at it- and keep taking the tablets!!!! knowing it will be gone the next day.
    just a few thoughts, i hope i am permitted them , and i hope the weather is fine where you are,

best wishes,

Nick
    :P Well done

Rosie x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Sounds really lovely and well worth a bit of pain in the long run. The memories won't be of the pain. :) Love Sue
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Eight miles, eight miles - what a treat to walk eight miles on a lovely day with lovely scenery. I'm glad you enjoyed it, a real achievement.

d055.gif

Well done.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    Eight miles, eight miles - what a treat to walk eight miles on a lovely day with lovely scenery. I'm glad you enjoyed it, a real achievement.

d055.gif

Well done.

Sorry off topic. Legs where do you get your emoticons? I'd love to have given Nick a little Running Man!! :lol:
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    ............Sorry off topic. Legs where do you get your emoticons? I'd love to have given Nick a little Running Man!! :lol:

Hi Alex,

Click on the link below and it'll take you to the website.

Click on the emoticon you like and a code appears at the bottom of the page, copy this then paste it on your 'Post a Reply' page.

Please note the emoticon doesn't appear until after you've posted your message.

[TEXT DELETED]

Have fun and if it doesn't work let me know and I'll see if I can help.

[Certain external sites may be unsafe to use - the link has been removed as a precaution - Moderator(T)]
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    this f030.gif is for all your great efforts well done :D
    val
  • nick55
    nick55 Member Posts: 119
    Options
    I rest as much as walk. and I do not run!!! the emoticons are a treat, by the way most amusing.
    there is just as much pleasure in taking regular rests during ones walks, one thing about arthur ritis, it slows you down and lets you see and enjoy the scenery. always look for the first bench to sit on.
    when one takes ones time, distance becomes less of an issue. longish walks are an exception these days, at one time it was every other day, but not now sadly. maybe its a good thing thinking about it, at least it gets the housework done!!!!

Nick
  • markc1
    markc1 Member Posts: 253
    Options
    Have a walk ,have a rest....perfect!! a075.gif

(obviously i've checked out the superb emoticons site as well!!)