ANTI TNF QUESTIONS

Options
tracey22
tracey22 Member Posts: 41
edited 26. Aug 2009, 05:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
hI EVERYONE JUST WONDERED WHAT THE PROCEDURE IS WITH ANTI TNF ASSESMENTS, I HAVE HEARD THAT YOU HAVE CHEST XRAY IF SO WHEN DO YOU GET THE RESULTS OF THIS AND ALSO AM A BIT WORRIED ABOUT IT, THINKS ITS BECAUSE IM A SMOKER AND WORRIED THEY WILL FIND SOMETHING ELSE WRONG WITH ME. I KNOW ITS A DISGUSTING HABIT AND AM CURRENTLY IN THE PROCESS OF TRYING TO PACK IT IN. ALSO THEY SAID I WOULD HAVE TO HAVE URINE TEST AND TB TEST ANYONE HAVE ANY GOOD INFORMATION ON ALL OF THIS MY ASSESMENT IS NEXT THURSDAY. DOES IT TAKE ALONG TIME....

THANKS

TRAY

Comments

• joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    As a non smoker, I think I would also be very nervous to start the Anti TNF. There are profound risks of getting Tumours I believe.

Perhaps as a smoker, you stand a bigger risk if put on Anti TNF. I only know what I have read on the forum and on the internet. perhaps someone from the Helpline Team could help with this one.

joyful
  • bevman
    bevman Member Posts: 107
    Options
    tracey22 wrote:
    hI EVERYONE JUST WONDERED WHAT THE PROCEDURE IS WITH ANTI TNF ASSESMENTS, I HAVE HEARD THAT YOU HAVE CHEST XRAY IF SO WHEN DO YOU GET THE RESULTS OF THIS AND ALSO AM A BIT WORRIED ABOUT IT, THINKS ITS BECAUSE IM A SMOKER AND WORRIED THEY WILL FIND SOMETHING ELSE WRONG WITH ME. I KNOW ITS A DISGUSTING HABIT AND AM CURRENTLY IN THE PROCESS OF TRYING TO PACK IT IN. ALSO THEY SAID I WOULD HAVE TO HAVE URINE TEST AND TB TEST ANYONE HAVE ANY GOOD INFORMATION ON ALL OF THIS MY ASSESMENT IS NEXT THURSDAY. DOES IT TAKE ALONG TIME....

THANKS
    Hi Tracy i have been on TNF enbrel for six months i was in hospital at the time i was assest i had to have a chest x ray it is to see weather you have got TB thay have to make sure that you are ok because as well as being a very expensive drug it does lower your imune system but you will be fine try not to worry as i said i was in hospital at the time the results did not take long to come threw.
    take care laurence
    TRAY
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi Tracey,

I had to have 2 assessments one month apart to acertain level of arthritis. They do a DAS score, if you score more than 5.1 then you qulaify.

They have to do the chest xray, this will tell them if you have had TB before, these checks including urine,blood are necessary as they are the benchmark for you, so if you become unwell, they do the tests again and see if there are any changes.

I presume that they know you are a smoker?? You will have to talk to them about your fears and worries., they are there to help you.

I thought a long time about starting anti-tnf, my life at the moment is ruled by arthrits, I am on long term sick and only 37, I feel my life is pretty s*** , cant take my daughter anywhere and cant do anything, hubby cuts my food up and dresses me etc and if it gives me the opportunity to live my life how I want then that's want I want. These statements about the side effects are minimal, yes they are there but you have to weigh up benefit against risk.

I hope you find this a little useful

Good luck

Janie x
  • mrsdalloway
    mrsdalloway Member Posts: 161
    Options
    Hi Tracey as said above they do DAS score and chest x-ray. I gave up 5 years ago now and still get jumpy about chest x-rays in case there is anything lurking! :lol: But as Janey says you have to weigh up all the pros and cons I have been in this boat 14 years now after being diagnosed at 25 and am pretty fed up with it now, truth be told! Therefore, I will take anything offered as I reckon that anything that crops up I will deal with it. Good luck! x
  • bubbsie
    bubbsie Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi Tracy,
    I am a smoker and I am on Anti TNFs, Only just started them last friday and with positive effect, The way I look at it is, Yes it.s scary but having this diesese is very scary.Thy never even asked me if I smoked but for me it's about what quaility of life I have got now ,which was zero, Can't walk always in horrific pain , The good thing is you are always monitored so if anyone should be unlucky and cancer occures they would be straight on it and most cancers in early stages are curable . I am 46 and have many years of living to do and with Anti TNFs I hope they will be painfree fun filled years . So once again it's pros and cons. The das test is simple just say ouch everytime the touch your jonts :D . The xray is to see if you have dormant TB which I was told if it was possitive they would treat before you start TNFs after the results come back you get a delivery and a nice nurse who comes to your home and takes you through injecting, which for me was very easy I had no reaction at all no side effects no stinging nothing i can't even see where i injected

Hope all go's well

Take Care
    Bubbsie