hip noise

Options
granter
granter Member Posts: 24
edited 26. Aug 2009, 08:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I am on the list for a new hip (RA 41 years) but of late the pain in it has greatly diminished, though the terrible clicking and clunking is worse. Does any else have such noisy hips? Do you think I should go ahead with the op, even though the pain is less, just to stop the noise when I walk or sit down? My inclination is to tell the surgeon and see what he says. Also I have extremely good movement in my hip. The rheumo says he thinks I would have LESS movement if I had the THR. It's a dilemma, but at least I'm not complaining that the pain is unbearable, like I used to. I can't explain the reduced pain at all.

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Granter,

I was convinced my pain had lessened before my hip op and told everyone so.They gave me that withering look and said the x-ray showed a lot of damage.Then I had an X-ray the week before op and the x-ray lady said it was very bad and the bones were rubbing and I must be in lots of pain!
    The point is I felt less pain but was told the hip had deteriorated.
    My mobility has increased so much since the operation and the pain has almost gone.It was the best thing I ever did.
    We are all different but I would go for it and I personally have not lost any mobility and dont know anyone who has.
    Hope that helps
    Tkachev
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Granter
    Just to add it could be a new medication that is lessening the pain.I started Humira in the October 2008.But the damage is still happening and wont correct itself.

Tkachev
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • granter
    granter Member Posts: 24
    Options
    What's the worst thing that could happen if it continues to deteriorate but doesn't hurt? Do you think it might be an idea to just postpone it? It seems so daft to put myself thru an op for something that doesn't hurt much. I'm interested you had the same experience. Did you just think it's deteriorating so I may as well have it now as later?

tkachev wrote:
    Hi Granter,

I was convinced my pain had lessened before my hip op and told everyone so.They gave me that withering look and said the x-ray showed a lot of damage.Then I had an X-ray the week before op and the x-ray lady said it was very bad and the bones were rubbing and I must be in lots of pain!
    The point is I felt less pain but was told the hip had deteriorated.
    My mobility has increased so much since the operation and the pain has almost gone.It was the best thing I ever did.
    We are all different but I would go for it and I personally have not lost any mobility and dont know anyone who has.
    Hope that helps
    Tkachev