Anti Tnf Injections

Options
mrsdalloway
mrsdalloway Member Posts: 161
edited 27. Aug 2009, 07:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
OK I need to pick everyones brains! I have been having anti tnf injections since Feb this year, my lovely hubby does them for me. I cannot do them myself as the stinging as the liquid goes in is excrutiating. Admittedly it is only for a couple of seconds but it still hurts like hell. I have read a few posts now where peeps are saying that they don't feel anything at all. Are you doing something differently? He injects in my stomach and has excellent technique now so that I don't even feel the needles just the liquid. I take it out of the fridge about 20-30 minutes before the injection as well. It is not putting me off having them because the results are brilliant but I could just do without the pain and thank god the kids can't lip read! :lol:

Comments

• twiggypuss
    twiggypuss Member Posts: 14
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, are you having Etanercept? I've been doing my own injections for several years now, I find it hurts less in the thigh than the stomach, and also it's better to do it v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y! Because I do it myself, I can feel when it starts to hurt, and I pause, wait for the pain to subside, then start again. Tell your husband to do a little bit at a time, and I think you'll find it better. Or even have a go yourself!
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    I do my own Humira injections and while they do sting like crazy, knowing it's only for 15 seconds and the medicine is necessary really helps.

Maybe it would help trying to inject in the thigh?

Some people numb the area with ice first. Oh, and do you use an alcohol swab on the area first? If so, make sure the area is completely dry before injecting. I personally don't use the swab - my rheumy nurse said it wasn't necessay and it stings less!
  • wiltshiregirl
    wiltshiregirl Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi, I have been on Humira now for about 15 months, and I have now found that the injections dont sting. I have always injected in my stomach. I guess my body is now used to it, and as long as it keeps working, I wont complain!
  • northumbrian
    northumbrian Member Posts: 25
    Options
    I have been using the pen type injections for Humira for nearly two years. I also take it out of the fridge 20 minutes before use and I use a swab. I hardly felt a thing until recently, now sometimes it stings like hell. I do it in the thigh. I think the problem is I tense the muscle, dificult not to when you click the trigger. I try to get it into some soft fat rather than my tense thigh muscle. I am now on weekly injections as its effects are wearing off very quickly.
    TP
  • mrsdalloway
    mrsdalloway Member Posts: 161
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I will try it without the alcohol wipe next time see if it works. I agree that the stinging is small price to pay because it does work so it is maybe something I have to endure.
  • bubbsie
    bubbsie Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Oh I must have been lucky with my first injection It was an epipen thing and I did'nt feel anything no sting at all it was out of the fridge for 45 mins as the nurse was late , I did it in my stomach (Loads of fat there hahah) But I did ask the nurse why would it sting and she said it was the preservatives they have to put in it to keep fresh . Hope my next one don't sting as I was pretty happy it never hurt at all...

Bubbsie