Hand therapists

Options
trisher
trisher Member Posts: 9,263
edited 26. Aug 2009, 17:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
When I saw my rheumy doctor she asked me if I would like to see a hand therapist.

I wondered if anyone had seen one and what do they do? Is it helpful at all.?

trisher x

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Trisher,

I've seen a physiotherapist about my hands, don't know whether that's the same thing :?

I had hot wax therapy, which was lovely. You dip you hands in a hot bath of paraffin wax it dries on you, warming all your joints and making them supple. Then you peel the wax off and do a series of exercises for your hands and fingers.

I really used to enjoy it.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • chrissycat
    chrissycat Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi Linda

Did you know you can buy the paraffin wax bath heaters?
    My boyfriend bought me one as a present one Christmas, but I only used it once and then gave it to one of his friends. I wish I'd hung onto it now..

I know it wouldn't have been very dear. Boots, Amazon or Ebay will probably have one, if you're interested.

Cheers

Chrissy
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I think he means Occupational Therapist
    Make splints, get you to do hand exercise, massage your hands, use Paraffin wax hand bath. that sort of thing

joyful
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    chrissycat wrote:
    Hi Linda

Did you know you can buy the paraffin wax bath heaters?
    My boyfriend bought me one as a present one Christmas, but I only used it once and then gave it to one of his friends. I wish I'd hung onto it now..

I know it wouldn't have been very dear. Boots, Amazon or Ebay will probably have one, if you're interested.

Cheers

Chrissy

Thanks Chrissy.

We still have some in the shed somewhere, my hubby managed to get me some when the boys were small but I didn't use it very often because of having so much on with young children and coping with life and RA.... unfortunately in those days my care got put on the back burner. :roll: That's why I loved the therapy at the hospital .......it made me do what was good for me. :D

.... and nowadays my hands are very deformed and beyond repair :shock: Such is life eh :roll: :wink:

Luv Legs who's quite happy and not bitter :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'