Stiff fingers

Options
carol71
carol71 Member Posts: 131
edited 2. Sep 2009, 09:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
When I woke this morning I couldn't bend my fingers on my right hand they were so stiff and the pain that shot down my pointy finger (is it called an index finger my minds gone blank) when I tried to bend them was agony. After a while of me gently trying to move them they eased up but it was something i've not experienced before the stiffness not being able to bend them. I've suffered from achy throbbing fingers for a while but not this.

Comments

• ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Unfortunately what you are describing is no doubt familiar to others with arthritis as well as myself. Some mornings and throughout the day my own fingers are the same. At other times they are not bad at all.
    It is sometimes reassuring to know others are in a similar boat. There are splints to be had from OT or Physio which may help. I try not to think of these things as progressions but Arthritis making it;'s prescence felt in yet another area. :roll: I'm sure others will be along to help reassure you.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Carol,

Mine sometimes do that and then go into extreme cramp but I find sticking my hands in hot water first thing does help me and it may you? Take care and keep moving them if you can. Cris x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Carol,

Hot water works for me too - the hotter the better. Some people do prefer an ice pack though especially if your fingers are swollen - the cold helps reduce the swellings.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi

I've got OA in my hands not as bad as the knees but like you my fingers get stiff. If it gets cold or windy I notice they stiffen up more.
    Keeping them warm or mobile helps. I've had to buy an automatic can opener and jar openers as I don't seem to have the strength to open things like I used too.

My index finger is also my worse one and I think it's because it's the one my pen/pencil rests on and if its your dominant hand it works harder. I've taken to drinking with my left hand when my index finger gets too stiff.

Sharmaine
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi had prob with fingers for months now but it has decided to go into wrist was stiff yesterday today painfull going right up to shoulder goes well with hip
    val
  • mrsdalloway
    mrsdalloway Member Posts: 161
    Options
    Hi Carol I feel for you as I wake up most mornings looking like I have spent the night street fighting! I find that gently using them frees them up a little, although typing is a little awkward as it feels like all my fingers are pointing in different directions! x
  • karinak
    karinak Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Hello, I have had stiff morning fingers for about 3 months now and was diagnosed with RA a couple of weeks ago :cry:
    As a few others have mentioned some days are better than others but washing up in hot water first thing in morning does help me and i have already worked out that some foods make it worse. I have noticed my wrists have now become very weak also
    A brilliant book is The arthritis cookbook whick i am working my way through.
    Hope this helps and take care Karina x
  • mrsdalloway
    mrsdalloway Member Posts: 161
    Options
    ooh Karina I won't let my husband see your post otherwise thats my excuse blown! :lol:
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, My fingers can be really stiff and painful as well as my wrist, sometimes the pain goes up my when I move my fingers. Some days they dont seem too bad at all and I can forget them.
    Love sue
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    i agrea with the putting your hands in warm or even hot water, it works wonders, i to really suffer with my hands and fingers.
    i found last week when i made playdoh, it was so theraputic! the warm playdoh in my hands was bliss!!!
    not that i'm going to suggest you make a fresh batch of playdoh every morninbg though!
    but heat is the best thing i find, really gets them moving! i also had a suggestion from the hand surgeon i saw a few weeks ago, he said to get one of those squishy stress type balls and try squeezing it gently, just to keep my muscles working a bit, trouble is i can't find one in any shops, so not much use really!!
    i hope you get some relief soon though, i really sympathise with you
    sue