1'st 2'nd 3'rd

Options
dachshund
dachshund Member Posts: 8,939
edited 28. Aug 2009, 05:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone.
Can some body explain what are 1'st 2'nd 3'rd stages of arthritis.
and i have a friend who says she as arthritis but has no pain she takes glucosamine and c for stiffness.
yours thankfully
joan xx
take care
joan xx

Comments

• lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    No idea what the numbers mean but I took glucosamine for years and when I stopped them a few months ago I did not notice any difference. Some things work for others but I won't buy anymore.
    Linda H 8)
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Joan :D

I also don't know about the different stages of OA only that it gets worse with time for me at least, mobility and pain.

My mum of 85 years has had a hip replacement and both knees done over the years. She never complained of that much pain but her legs definitely became weaker and mis-shapen if you know what I mean, as the OA got worse. So she found difficulty in walking but never complained of much pain, unlike me and my knees. The last TKR she had was last year and the surgeon said it was a very difficult operation and he had never seen a knee in such bad shape as hers. She takes gluco. I took it for years but in the end stopped and there was no difference as far as I could see.

Hope you and Sue are "rubbing along" ok.

Love
    Elna xx
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Joan,

It was a long time ago this was explained to me but I think it was first stage is early on set, 2nd stage it tend to be very active and 3rd stage its finished........ They said it would hurt less and actually it does but it also isn't near as mobile and does cause problems. I hope thats made it a bit clearer for you? (oh and that I remembered what they said right :wink: ) Luv Cris x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Joan,

For me

1st stage :?
    2nd stage :|
    3rd stage :shock: :shock: :(

.... I would think Cris is right and the 3rd stage is mechanical problems because the joints have been badly damaged and the pain that incurred is different to the other two stages but none the less painful for that. :roll: Although we're all different and do experience pain in varying degrees we only know what's painful for us.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Joan

It was explained to me as mild, moderate and severe. When I had an arthroscopy, they changed my diagnosis from moderate to severe because it was worse than they thought from the X-rays and scan.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,939
    Options
    Thank you
    LindaH
    i tried them for 9 weeks but i did'nt notice anything different.
    Elna
    Sue is happy as always.
    Legs and Joan.
    thank you everyone i understand a bit now.
    joan :)
    take care
    joan xx
  • topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    Options
    As well as the RA i have OA in my knee and was told it was stage 2/3.....
    Being the 'geek' that i am( my boys words not mine!)..I googled it and theres info on it on websites..
    I actually think theres a stage 4 :shock:
    x
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi

I don't know what these stages are either. I've always had pain with my OA. Like Elna I have OA in both knees, right shoulder and in my hands. I also find that with each passing year I seem to get worse.

My mother has had both her knees replaced but she said her knees and pain were never as bad as mine. She says she had discomfort and tired easily. She winces everytime she looks at my knee one is more deformed than the other. My grandmother had OA in her hands.

It's always interesting to hear stories about Arthur.