Arthur mad me Angry -there I've said it!

Options
eckstardeluxe
eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
edited 28. Aug 2009, 07:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi folks

Posted a little of this in the work forum as events there helped give me a push.

I was very bad after my diagnosis and coming here helped me come to terms with my Arthur. Mines was caused by a spinal disease in childhood which I know now was caused by my kidney condition being filed and neglected for over 3 years (only found out after accessing my notes)

I went to the Pain Clinic today, they were talking about why it was caused and suddenly I broke down saying "why me? my kidney problems were caused by neglect which caused the spinal illness, I had counselling about my treatment during this time for over a year, I thought I was well, then I found out all this"

Everyone had been saying since January to go back for Counselling but I didn't want to feeling I'd failed my Counsellor.

Well today I admitted defeat. When I came out the Hospital when I was young, I developed Trichotillomania - WOW :o - there I've said it. It comes back at times of stress and had reappeared during the work issues. I contacted the Dr to say I'd relapsed and need to discuss my anger re the Arthur and why it was caused. I just need to seriously get this all away and get better mentally again.

Sorry for the long post, I'm in shock today, I've finally admitted I need help.

thanks for listening

Eck

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Eck,

Counselling isn't a failure how you were treated all those years ago will take time to work through with out the arthritis. You will get there and I hope you will see its not your failuer at all. Take care Luv Cris who had counselling on and off for 5 years x
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    Eck,

You are very brave. I am pleased that you are getting the help you need and deserve.

love Anne
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi this arther knocks us all side ways so u r doing the right thing going for help the more u get your head around it the better u will cope with what it throws at u good luck
    val
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,939
    Options
    Hi Eck.
    You need the help so has you feel better.
    and because you're a lovely person and it will help you sort things out.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I think you've taken a big step and you know it :shock: Thats the first hurdle over and its a bll''''''y big one! Good luck, I hope you soon find a good councillor or do you go back to the one you've seen? Anyway, good for you!!! :)
    Love Sue
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Now you've climbed the mountain Eck and reached the top by admitting it ..............so now it's only the little hills beyond.

Well done, it's been a long time coming for you but now you can start healing.

Keep coming back to us, we're always here for you.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    ues, you have done so well admitting you needs help, i'm still struggling to do that every day! i have many times broken down and the anger can often jump out of me for no real reason, but you have taken the 1st step, well done and i hope you are now getting the help you need and truly deserve.
    sue
  • lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    Options
    You have been there for many people on this forum and now it's your turn to be listened to and supported.
    With the admission you have taken a huge step to help yourself.
    Hope everything happens quickly for you to keep the momentum going.
    Linda H 8)
  • topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    Options
    I have recieved counciling twice...( for depression/stress...nothing to do with RA) as well as Prozac....
    It takes a stronger person to accept the help...thats what you are doing...
    Bless you and take care
    Kay
    xxx
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Hi Eck
    You have been through the mill over the years, and recently with work, you deserve to get all the help you can get, to get yourself well again, be it mentally or physically, there may not be a lot that we can do about our bodies and what comes to live with us like old arthur but, get your mind healthy as possible and you will be able to cope with the rest that life throws at you, and as you know this forum is also a good therapy to vent your frustrations, anger and worry, there will always be someone on here will be able to understand and sympathise with what you are going through.
    You have made that first step to helping yourself get better. Good luck with your councelling.
    Love Denise.
  • mrsdalloway
    mrsdalloway Member Posts: 161
    Options
    Just to say that I agree with the others and that it takes a great deal of courage to ask for and accept help it isn't a sign of weakness. I think you are very brave x
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    Sniffling away at these lovely messages of support, the hubby has just read them and said they are wonderful.

I am assuming my Dr is trying to get my previous Counsellor as she was the one who did the Hypnotherapy with me where they went back to the traumatic events etc so she knows my full history.

It's a funny one because even though I felt like I'd let her down after all the techniques she'd taught me, I know she'll be like this :shock: when she now hears I have the arthur and stenosis.

I will not stop coming back here, you can bet on that, indeed I hope maybe in time someone else might want to do the same if they are struggling mentally.

Thank you all so much, you really know how to cheer a girl up!

xxxxx
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Hi, I wanted to echo what the others said it takes a strong person to admit you need help. You have so much to cope with, yet you always help others on the forum.

I have had counselling and it really helped me, I resisted it for so long, yet I wish I had done it ages ago!!!!!

As others have said the only way is up now!! I wish you success in your counselling. Admitting your emotions is the first step to dealing with them. Dealing with just arthur is a rollercoaster of emotions without the other things you have had to face. You are a very brave and strong person. You will get through this.

Cyber hugs! ((( eck )))

Deb x
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Hi Eck
    just to wish you all the best :D
    ive suffered with depression (before RA) and had councilling and the happy pills and at some point im sure i will need it all again, i hope like you i will be brave enough to seek the help when its needed.
    take care
    page
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi eck

You've made the right decision to get help with the emotional side of your condition. Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with the health professionals. It certainly isn't right that you've gone undiagnosed and without treatment for such a long length of time.I wasn't given the results of my x-rays at my former GP surgery and they continued to treat me for sciatica. It looks as it I had OA for 7 years before I was diagnosed. It was only 3 years later and a move of home/new GP that I discovered that I had full blown OA. Mistakes happen and I could have played merry hell about it but I just didn''t have the energy to do it. It is annoying when the medical profession make mistakes and you end up worse off because of it. I can only say that they're making all the right moves now and I'm on medication to help with the pain/discomfort.

There are a lot of good people on this site and you are right to sound off here. Sharing a problem is half way to finding the solution. Sometimes we don't have the answers but the shoulders of people on this site are broad.

With warm regards
    Sharmaine
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    sharmaine wrote:
    Hi eck

You've made the right decision to get help with the emotional side of your condition. Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with the health professionals. It certainly isn't right that you've gone undiagnosed and without treatment for such a long length of time.I wasn't given the results of my x-rays at my former GP surgery and they continued to treat me for sciatica. It looks as it I had OA for 7 years before I was diagnosed. It was only 3 years later and a move of home/new GP that I discovered that I had full blown OA. Mistakes happen and I could have played merry hell about it but I just didn''t have the energy to do it. It is annoying when the medical profession make mistakes and you end up worse off because of it. I can only say that they're making all the right moves now and I'm on medication to help with the pain/discomfort.

There are a lot of good people on this site and you are right to sound off here. Sharing a problem is half way to finding the solution. Sometimes we don't have the answers but the shoulders of people on this site are broad.

With warm regards
    Sharmaine

I agree Sharmaine, had it not been for this site, I don't know how I would have coped. So glad I found it.

Eck
    xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hi Eck
    I MISSED this thread!!
    You are a very strong and brave person you know.
    I am very pleased you are going to do this - no-one could see this as a failing and your previous cousellor will be proud that she equipped you with the skills to know you needed more help.
    Well done I hope you will feel able to let us know how you get on.
    So sorry I missed your thread
    Toni x