Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

Options
lovehearts
lovehearts Member Posts: 20
edited 28. Aug 2009, 05:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone :)
I have now been off work for 7 wks, it all started when my liver function was abnormal. I then got severe pains in my side and stomach and was admitted to hospital where after a scan they found out that I have gallstones, I now have to have my gallbladder out. I have RA and because of my liver results I have not been on any medication for 3 weeks, I'm in so much pain, I can't even hold a saucepan and haven't the strength to take my dog out. I ache continually, getting out of bed in the morning takes forever. I went to the hospital today to have a steroid injection which hopefully will start to set in soon, got a phone call from my surgery today to say that my liver results are very very high again. When I got my CT scan results y'day it confirmed my gallstones and also that I have a substantial ovarian cyst that I now have to see a gynaecologist about. I'm beginning to think if I'll ever return to work at this rate. I'm really down, I'm on my own with my two teenage children, my daughter goes back to uni soon and I feel so old before my time, I want to enjoy life, do the gardening, go for walks but all these things are crippling me at the moment. I just can't see a light at the end of the tunnel, my life consists of doctors and hospitals and countless needles. Please cheer me up and say hello, Kim xx

Comments

• suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi, sorry you are having a rough time, this arthritis does cause such a lot of trouble.
    i can't help much but we are all here for you, take care and i really hope things start improving for you soon.
    i struggle with my 2 daughters as well, an active 2 yr old and a 10 yr old, especially seen as summer holidays seem to cause such boredo, i don't have the energy to run around with them! oh well, at least the weather isn't to bad today!
    sue
  • lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Hello Kim,can't suggest anything constructive but you know we are here to listen and offer support.
    Do your children help out,sometimes we don't ask for help so they don't offer.try to treat yourelf to some quality time,bubble bath and read a good book or watch a dvd.Choccy always helps.
    Thinking warm thoughts for you.
    Linda H 8)
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Kim, I can't do anything over than offer my support, sorry to learn that you are having such a terrible time, hope all your problems get sorted out and that you can return to work as soon as possible love Jaspercatxx
  • mrsdalloway
    mrsdalloway Member Posts: 161
    Options
    Hi Kim sorry your having a rough time at the moment. I haven't got any pearls of wisdom or a magic wand I wish I did it would be a very busy wand! One thing I will say though is that I believe we have to bad times in order to know the good times if that makes sense. Hope things pick up soon and remember you are not alone. I believe the bar is open on the chit chat section go and have a large one on me :lol: x
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    Lovehearts, I'm sorry that you're having a hard time. I kind of know what you might be going through. I had gallstones while pregnant and we believe that was what caused my arthritis. It is really hard not being able to take your meds. I remember well the pain of weighing up meds against possible pre term labour, not to mention the physical pain. That said, after my gall bladder was removed I felt better every day. I think the body sees gall stones as some kind of infection and while it flares up for that it also makes the arthritis worse. Do you have long to wait for your gall bladder op? Also make sure that you don't eat ANY fat if possible as that can make you feel worse. Fruit and veg became my best friends. Oh, and don't fall for the 'fat free' labels without checking the ingredients. Any fat, oil or wax IS FAT!! Yet companies insist on lying to us.

I'm not sure if pain killers are a good idea if your liver function is impaired but it might be worth asking about different forms of pain relief such as pain patches as they are a constant low dose without the peaks and troughs of oral meds. It might be easier on your liver.

I don't know if any of this helps. I hope it might give you some ideas to ask the Dr about. Let us know how you get on.
    Take care
    Cathy
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Options
    I am so sorry that you are going through all this, it is a lot for anyone to deal with. I hope the docs can get you sorted quickly.

Take care

Deb
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Kim,

I really hope that you will be sorted out soon and your life begins to get better for you. Its a lot to cope with but as others have said all I can do is offer my support and hope that you will soon be ok again. Take care, Cris x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    HELLO Kim,
    I am sorry to hear your news, it must be hard on your own and I'll think of you. Lets hope they get things sorted pretty damn quick. :wink:

Love Sue xxxxx