Hi from a new member - with a question

Options
golfer
golfer Member Posts: 20
edited 29. Aug 2009, 11:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi to you all from a brand new member

I have been reading this wonderful site off and on since my first diagnosis (about March time) of OA in the hip.

I just wanted to ask - I have the feeling, particularly in the front of the right thigh, that my muscles are being tweaked and it feels like (I can only describe) strumming a guitar, apart from the initial pain it also leaves me sore from hip to the knee. This happens mostly when I move my leg side to side.

Is this normal for OA? I would really appreciate any answers and most certainly any helpful suggestions to relieve this.

Many thanks

Chris

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi chris welcome cant help as only started with hip this week lol. but wanted to say hi and welcome some one will be able to help u so good luck . what meds r u on back at docs soon so want to know what out there please if u do not mind val :D
    val
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    Options
    yep Chris I agree with the others , I used to get that pain when I sat still for too long or walked too much before I had my THR.. since then no pain... now its starting in the other groin and thigh so I guess I am on that road to surgery again...
    Ask your doc for anti-inflammatories and painkillers..they do help but try not to overdo things...

Welcome by the way you will find a font of knowledge on this site..
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    hI cHRIS
    wELCOME TO the forum from me too!
    I havn't had that problem myself either, but I reckon it might just be too much GOLF?????
    Serioulsy good excercise I reckon! :wink:
    Take care
    Toni x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Chris and welcome.

Although I have RA when my hips are 'playing up' I get a feeling on the side of my hip like the tendon flicking over the bone when I straighten, don't know if it's the same thing you get - it does settle down for me though. :?

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • golfer
    Options
    Thanks for your helpful replies - it would seem that the problem I have is all part of the OA!

Yes Linda I think that you have described it pretty well.

Toni - there is no such thing as "too much golf" I checked in the dictionary!! - on a serious note, I have a Consultants letter saying to play as much as I feel able - my other half thinks I bribed him!!

Val - nice to hear from you and sorry to hear that you have this too. I am taking 2x Celebrex per day (anti inflamatories) and 3 x Glucosamine with Chondroitin which I get from Healthspan as they are so much cheaper than Tesco, Holland & Barratt etc I also (when I need to ) take Co Codomol pain killers

Thanks all

Chris
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Chris,

I can't really help cus mine just sort of feels broken but I wanted to just say hi, they are a good lot here. Take care Cris
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I have OA in my hip and back, and I get pain in the groin area and down the inside of my thigh. When its really playing up it goes right down to my knee. If I carry on walking after the pain begins my leg feels as if it has a mind of its own! :shock: Each step is hard to make and I seem to have to concentrate on walking in case my leg lets me down. It also feels sort of shorter, but it isn't (I don't think) :roll: When I go into crowds or walk further than normal I have a stick: fold up for town and hiking pole for Country!

Welcome to the site I hope you find it a useful place, I certainly do! :) Take care. Sue
  • golfer
    Options
    Thanks for your welcome and answers Sue and Skezier

Chris
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I can't help much as I have RA, just wanted to welcome you to the forum, I am sure some people with OA will come along love
    Jaspercatxx
  • golfer
    Options
    thanks Jasper nice to hear from you

Chris
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi my gp gives me gluc& chord. aswell as naproxen and co something or other can not remember at moment lol on the whole work ok till over do it u know like try to live normal life lol
    val
  • golfer
    Options
    Hi Val

I just wish that I could live "a normal life" 8 months ago I had no pain at all and now doing things that were no problem before are sometimes quite difficult - but I will battle on - this will not win!

Chris
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi there

Although I do not get nerve pain or twitches where you are having them. I suffered awfully with this from my back - sciatica, numbness and spasms.

I have now had this corrected with drugs that stopped the nerve pain. A tENS machine can help too if it gets worse. I know how awful nerve pain can be so get advice from your Dr, don't leave it as it could get worse, sorry hope that doesn't frighten you, just want you to get help.

Eck
  • golfer
    Options
    Thanks Eck, and no, you havn't frightened me at all. What seems certain with this illness is that everyone gets it the same but different, and we all have "a story to tell".

I have a tens machine and use it from time to time but the truth is , if my leg muscles didn't "twang" so often, I would actually have nothing to moan about. There are many here much much worse off than me and they all have my sympathy

Chris