Hi Results !

Options
wendygrocott
wendygrocott Member Posts: 30
edited 29. Aug 2009, 09:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
All my blood tests have come back ok so it's not an underactive thyroid that's causing the problems. So we are back to Arthur again?? Going back to see GP for some stronger or different medication .I was taking Tramadol with Paracetamol but my GP has told me Tramadol is habbit forming (been on it 12 months) and reduce it down as much as I can this is not working I am in so much discomfort can't hardly move so it's back to see what will work.I suppose it's trial and error heres hoping.

Comments

• ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Glad to hear that your blood tests are ok. Now you need to get your pain relief sorted out. Obviously reducing your Tramadol is not the way forward for you as you are getting more sore. It sounds to me that your GP is not taking this as seriously as they could, telling someone to reduce their pain relief when they're obviously in pain does'nt make sense.The slow release formula Tramadol which can give you 200mg in the morning and than another 200mg tablet in the evening is not habit forming as far as I know. Gives you a good foundation and you can take strong co codamol or solpadol in between for pain relief.I hope you get some help soon and you get to see your physio soon and perhaps get some acupuncture to help with the pain as well as exercises.
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi Wendy

As said already, I think you need to have a discussion about your meds if still in pain.

I've been taking Tramadol for almost a year now and at the Pain Clinic they said they had no plans to stop this as obviously helping me a great deal. I also take Diazepam for my muscle spasms, another habit forming drug.

But this is on my repeat. I only have it once a day but I assume they allow this because it used to be 3 a day and I actually requested they reduce it as felt only needed it when the spasms happened badly and often missed a day. I think if you are taking your drugs sensibly, this is what matters. It doesn't sound to me like you have been whacking yourself with anything, so may be worth talking to them about, especially if the Tramadol was helping.

I do hope you get to the bottom of everything and find a balance that works for you. take care

Eck
    xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hi Wendy
    Suppose it's good the bloods were ok - you don't need any more probs eh?!
    I think all meds are probably habit forming surely?
    Maybe you need to go to pain clinic?? They might be a better option than your GP?
    You can't go on suffering.
    take care
    Toni x
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Wendy
    Suppose it's good the bloods were ok - you don't need any more probs eh?!
    I think all meds are probably habit forming surely?
    Maybe you need to go to pain clinic?? They might be a better option than your GP?
    You can't go on suffering.
    take care
    Toni x

I think Toni makes a good suggestion there. The Pain Clinic helped me tremendously, I've had no sciatica since going there and seriously that was so bad, I was posting loads about it, I was at my wits end with it.

Worth asking for a referral.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I'VE just started going to the pain clinic and already on my first visit they have changed the way I take my pain killer, tramadol from shor acting tablets to long acting tablets that release slowly over 12 hours. I was a bit sceptical at first but straight away I noticed the difference, I do still get pain, but night-time especially, I have better sleep with less pain. The dose is exactly the same over a day. Hes also arranging for me to see a special spinal physio at the hospital. They do all sorts of things and they are interested in you and how the pain effect your life and you. Its focus is different. Good luck, Love Sue
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    I'VE just started going to the pain clinic and already on my first visit they have changed the way I take my pain killer, tramadol from shor acting tablets to long acting tablets that release slowly over 12 hours. I was a bit sceptical at first but straight away I noticed the difference, I do still get pain, but night-time especially, I have better sleep with less pain. The dose is exactly the same over a day. Hes also arranging for me to see a special spinal physio at the hospital. They do all sorts of things and they are interested in you and how the pain effect your life and you. Its focus is different. Good luck, Love Sue

Hi Sue, I'm glad you are seeing a difference. I do believe these clinics are well worth getting referred to. They really seem to be on your side and want to help.