spasms

Options
ritwren
ritwren Member Posts: 928
edited 2. Sep 2009, 13:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
I wonder if anyone else has had these. I don't know why but yesterday the bridge of my foot went into the most awful spasm. The veins and muscles all stood out and it hurt right up to the knee. It made me cry out and took a bit of time to stop. It happened again in the middle of the night and woke me up crying out. My hip on the same side is also a lot sorer than normal. Today my leg feels like jelly. I have PA and OA. Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    poor u can not give advice but sounds like u need the doc hopr things better soon have u been over doing things take care and try to rest might help till u can get to doc
    val
  • ritwren
    Options
    Thank you both it could be a lot worse really. Maybe I have been overdoing things as I'm trying to get fit after a nasty flare up and spell in hospital. I'll take it easy for a couple of days, I'm sure that will help.
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    could it be cramp.
    i get this in the back of my calves & the arches in my feet.
    the last time i suffered from cramps it was lack of calcium,so was prescribed soluable calcium tablets.i dont take them now but should really get some more.
    just a thought,debsx
  • crinkly1
    crinkly1 Member Posts: 156
    Options
    Have widespread OA and this happens to me a lot; often at night and in all sorts of unexpected places including abdominal muscles. Most often, for me, it's muscles in feet, legs and neck. Very painful and can be quite scary.

Have never reported it so don't have answers except regular heat and massage to keep muscle tone less taut around affected joints. Also warm up with gentle stretching exercises before doing anything 'energetic' that uses specific muscle groups and take regular breaks during activities.

For immediate relief stretch the affected muscles against the spasm - not always easy to do, especially if can't wake slumbering partner for assistance.
  • ritwren
    Options
    Thanks very much for your replies everyone I really appreciate your inpupt .
    You could be right that it's some kind of cramp. It's not happened since so at least I know that if it happens again it will go away and I'll be ok again, if you know what I mean. :) I get my bloods done every 2 weeks as I'm on methotrexate so I'd guess my calcium is ok but I will mention it to the GP next time I'm there.
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi, although not in my foot, I suffer from awfully painful spasms in my back. I take Diazepam when this happens and it relaxes the muscles. I do have gentle excercises that I do to try and build the muscles up but the spasms still happen. I just gently tense the muscles for 5 seconds on each side then relax and repeat this. Very gently, but even this can be sore but it does help, especially if I do them at night. It makes the stiffness and spasms lessen in the morning.

Hope your foot is better soon

Eck
    xxx
  • ritwren
    Options
    Thanks Eck, my foot is grand really, just feels a bit over used now if you know what I mean. Those tightning and relaxing exercises remind me of Yoga movements we used to do to warm up. Good reminder for me, I must do some gentle exercises. :)
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Rita,

My feet do that a lot as well and like you I have pa and oa but I also get endless cramps in my hands feet and legs cus I have lousy circulation. I am stuck in Frankensteins boots cus they have so much steel in them my left foot is unable to cramp up as much as it wants to do cus it can't get in to that position. I think I read somewhere you had raynaud's? (sorry if I got that wrong) but I reckons mines got more to do with lack of blood...... I have my drip soon so if it stops/helps it I will know :wink: Its not a good feeling is it, and I hope yours settles down soon. take care Cris x
  • ritwren
    Options
    Thanks Chris, it's reasuring to know that other folk have these spasm/cramps too. It's just that I've had so much trouble with my feet recently I was maybe more worried than I should have been. :oops: Sorry to hear you've circulatory problems, not good and often gives quite bad pains in the legs. Thankfully I don't have Renaulds, must be someone else you're thinking of. Hope today is a good one for you.
    rita
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I have found certain medications can start muscle spasms. I was prescribed Clomazepam, which is suppose to work like Diazapam, but made me worse. Instead of relaxing muscles, it did the opposite. The spasms were so bad it was causing more pain.

Have you had a change to your medication?

I have always suffered from restless leg syndrome and eat bananas which seem to sort this out. I have PA and RA in my feet and get all sorts of feelings from twitching, burning, itching, or just plain locking up when you are walking. When I go out, I wonder just how far I will make it before my toes lock up and heels hurt.

Hope you get your spasms sorted out soon.

joy
  • ritwren
    Options
    Joyful thanks for your reply. I've gradually beed decreasing my pain meds. I've not had the spasm'y thing happen again as yet. I'm eating a banana every day now. :)
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Rita,

Sorry I got confused over the raynaud's but have you ever tried quinine sulphate? Its seems quite good with the cramping I get but the feet are weird, they feel like they are trying to get cramp but very rarely do if you see what i mean. Its the small bones and in my case complicated by lack of blood I think. I really hope you can get it sorted though cus its not a nice feeling is it? Hey maybe it will stop? :D Cris x