2nd dose of methotextrate and so far all ok!

karinak
karinak Member Posts: 113
edited 2. Sep 2009, 04:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,
Now on week 2 of meth medication and so far no known side effects........mind you with an active 4 yr old i dont have time to think about it!.Changed my eating habits and feeling positive, but still have stiff fingers, weak wrists?
I know it takes weeks to take effect but will my morning stiffness improve??
Take care all Karina x

Comments

• robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    So glad you're doing well with no problems.

I'm only in my 3rd week of MTX, but having nausea and vomiting everyday still.
    Got folic acid and domperidone, but doesn't seem to be working.
    I've lost 19 lbs weight in 2 weeks.

Its doing my 'body mass index' great.

I now only need to grow another 1 foot 4 inches and I'll be my ideal weight.

Rob x
    Roba045.gif
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    robertls wrote:
    I'm only in my 3rd week of MTX, but having nausea and vomiting everyday still.
    Got folic acid and domperidone, but doesn't seem to be working.
    Rob x

You don't say how often you have the dose of MTX or when. If you are having nausea and vomiting everyday, then it is unlikely to be a reaction to the MTX which may cause a reaction for a time after taking. I suggest that you ask your Rheumy Nurse or contact the free confidential helpline 0808 800 4050 to discuss the problem.

It usually takes several weeks or months before any improvement due to MTX is felt. Remember that it is not a miracle cure, but slows down the progress of the disease. Morning stiffness is a normal part of RA and usually cannot be 'cured' as such. I am sure that others will give you similar information.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • funkym
    funkym Member Posts: 24
    Hi im on Methotrexate been on it for over 1 year now i have to say it was increased 3 times for me before felt longer lasting effect.

take it u also on painkillers.
    i had different side effects to start wiht which then settled and i found it good to have a stomach protector for the acid reflux,nausea.
    hope u feel effect soon for me was around 3 weeks then it was whats called tapering off at weekends so dose was upped again.
    15 mg has i kept things around certain level stopping dratsic increases in inflamation but we are all so different carnt possibly yes or no as to how long would take for u to feel effect.
    all best.
  • katat1
    katat1 Bots Posts: 43
    karinak wrote:
    Hello,
    Now on week 2 of meth medication and so far no known side effects........mind you with an active 4 yr old i dont have time to think about it!.Changed my eating habits and feeling positive, but still have stiff fingers, weak wrists?
    I know it takes weeks to take effect but will my morning stiffness improve??
    Take care all Karina x

Hi Karina,
    Great that you have no side effects! Same for me and I have been taking MTX since end of April, gradually upping the dose (on 15mg at the moment) and have never had any problems. My morning stiffness has improved. I wake up feeling a bit stiff but it clears within 10 minutes whereas before it took a lot longer, so hopefully your will lessen too. I had very painful wrists and fingers to start with but that has gone entirely. Stay positive, you will get there!
    Best,
    Kat
    x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    ......my morning stiffness has almost disappeared since being on Mtx.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • karinak
    karinak Member Posts: 113
    Thankyou all you lovely ppl,but its early days for me yet isnt it?..............going to start the hydroxychloroquine in a couple of weeks so we will see.
    karina x