Advice needed please

Options
yayyar
yayyar Member Posts: 21
I work in a call centre and have asked to lower my hours from 35 to 30 hours a week. They have come back to me after 5 weeks thinking and said they wont let me change has ive had no time off work ill and my work has not gone down hill. I suffer with R A on 20 mg of MTX a week and all sorts because i wont give in to it and want to go to work has long has i can i am so angry has i feel they think im taking the mickey ive been to work in flair up but ive had an old friend come back with me fatigue dont know what to do next thanx in anticipation

Andrew

Comments

• yayyar
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    No they wont let us have a union all ive said is get ready its not let go that easy.Dunno what they wantall i get is well ive got a dodgy knee then i just look at them and say pitty that i havnt got a dodgy knee maybe i would be listened to they didnt know it was a imune disease thick or what its like dealing with fools i tell yer realy has got me annoyed
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi
    But you can ring ACAS anyway - they are there for all workers.
    You do have rights and they are being stupid and shortsighted not to see that if you cut your hours you would probably be more productive when you WERE there!
    Honestly :!:
    Get some proper advice.
    Toni x
  • topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Its mad isnt it!!!!....
    Your condition should come under the DDA....google it and you will find lots of sites that i found very usefull.....
    Under the DDA you can make reasonable adjustments...including adjustments to hours...
    ask if they will put in writing the reasons why they wont let you reduce your hours.....
    you are obviously struggling on 35 hours and at some point you may start taing time of sick...when you sit down to discuss you need to point out that you asked to cut your hours under DDA but you were refused....
    If it ever got nasty and you took it futher, your company have to PROVE why the request you made was UNREASONABLE....
    The law is on your side....
    Good luck
    xx
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Ask for an assessment from the work's Occupational Health team, advise them they would be best to do this given your condition is likely covered under the DDA and good practice. (in other words if they didn't you could take them to tribunal and win hands down)

Go to see the OH who will wholeheartedly recommend this for you and job done. Additionally you could try saying

"Well I have coped so far but am now struggling, I would hate to tarnish what has been an exemplary absence record with this"

If they refuse, start your grievance as a tribunal will have wanted you to sort it in house first.
  • markc1
    markc1 Member Posts: 253
    Options
    Ask for an assessment from the work's Occupational Health team, advise them they would be best to do this given your condition is likely covered under the DDA and good practice. (in other words if they didn't you could take them to tribunal and win hands down)

Go to see the OH who will wholeheartedly recommend this for you and job done. Additionally you could try saying

"Well I have coped so far but am now struggling, I would hate to tarnish what has been an exemplary absence record with this"

If they refuse, start your grievance as a tribunal will have wanted you to sort it in house first.

Good advice but i wouldn't waste my time with acas as previously mentioned theyre just not interested.
  • yayyar
    Options
    i rang acas and they were brilliant they did laugh has they said it was the first time they had heard of an excuse like i had been given .I gave the advice that acas had given me to my operations manager who said i will see HR and guess what i start my new shift this Monday coming marvelous what happens when you threaten people with the DDA pitty it had to go that far in the first place and thank you all for your advise much appreciated

Andrew 1-0 to the arthritic ones (hahahahaha)
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    yayyar wrote:
    i rang acas and they were brilliant they did laugh has they said it was the first time they had heard of an excuse like i had been given .I gave the advice that acas had given me to my operations manager who said i will see HR and guess what i start my new shift this Monday coming marvelous what happens when you threaten people with the DDA pitty it had to go that far in the first place and thank you all for your advise much appreciated

Andrew 1-0 to the arthritic ones (hahahahaha)

Great stuff. Good when a plan comes together! You were in the right and they know it. I think they should count their lucky stars you only wanted to drop the 5 hours. i do 18 over 3 days and by day 3 feel like I've done a 40 hour week. I really hope you see the difference with your new shift pattern.

Well done you!
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Delighted to hear you got a good result. Hope it all works out for you.
    rita
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    amazing yet again,employers thinking they can make up their own rules whilst not even knowing the legal ones! best wishes.