OHS appointment - advice needed

Options
billywhizz
billywhizz Member Posts: 3
Hi,

I have been diagnosed with RA since July 2008.

Took one month off work in December 2008 due to the now familiar 'aches & pains'.

Since my return to work I have been subjected to a level of scrutiny never experienced before - ranging from questioning my ability, performance and attitude from my immediate line management.

I have (possibly foolishly) resisted making reasonable adjustment requests. Actually I was unsure what to request and had decided to monitor my condition and how it affected me before making any such request.

Why am I writing this post, well my senior line manager has referred me to OHS, which he told me about at the time. I did not see the request and I was led to believe it was to do with reasonable adjustments. I have found today that is not the case.

I now have an appointment with OHS next week to discuss my 'general fitness'. Am I right to be concerned or is this a normal.

I would appreciate any advice about my impending visit.

I am a semi desk bound civil servant required on occassions to visit other offices within my department, ie drive/walk.

Sincerely

Billy Whizz

Comments

• melanieb
    melanieb Member Posts: 4
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I too am a civil servant and over the last two and half years have had considerable time off due to osteoarthritis. Don't be too concerned about seeing OHS. I have had visits at the office and also had to go to an external appointment. If the nurse is coming to see you it may help as I have received lots of new equipment to help me work at my desk. As for the appointment with the doctor it was just a general history taking.
    It really is just standard procedure and nothing to be too concerned about from my experience.

Hope this helps.
  • billywhizz
    billywhizz Member Posts: 3
    Options
    melanieb wrote:
    I too am a civil servant and over the last two and half years have had considerable time off due to osteoarthritis. Don't be too concerned about seeing OHS. I have had visits at the office and also had to go to an external appointment. If the nurse is coming to see you it may help as I have received lots of new equipment to help me work at my desk. As for the appointment with the doctor it was just a general history taking.
    It really is just standard procedure and nothing to be too concerned about from my experience.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. You have put my mind at ease.

Billy Whizz
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    I am a civil servant also.

Yes it's normal to be concerned, this will all be new to you and given the treatment you are currently receiving, I am not surprised you would feel singled out.

Your employer must send you to the OH for advice, if they did not do this then they are leaving themselves wide open for trouble should you start grievance procedures etc. The OH really are on your side, make sure you write everything relevant down before you go so you don't miss anything. Additionally advise them the way you are being scrutinised at work, tell them you feel you are being discriminated against and bullied.The OH will be very vague when they write to your Employer with their report but they will say to treat you sensitively if you tell them what's been happening.

This may sound slight, but I had this on my report and when I was being subject to similar scrutiny recently, I wrote a letter to my Manager advising her not to have any communication with me at all as I felt she was bullying me and not treating me sensitively which had been requested in the OH report. Indeed I felt my treatment was the opposite. I was on a call at the time but was reliably informed by a colleague she screamed in the middle of the call centre shouting "NO" at the top of her voice when she got that e-mail. :lol:

I was promptly moved after submitting a two page grievance letter detailing every little comment or action she'd made - all upheld. I now have a wonderful Manager and team and cannot believe my luck. The difference in my attitude and quality of work is amazing, so much difference because of no stress factor.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. I'm sure you will be fine, but I reiterate - write it all down!

Eck
    xxx
  • issymknight
    issymknight Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Billt dont worry to much the OHS is there to help you most of the time. When I went they told me that I was covered by the DDA which was put in writing so it helped me as my manager. As he was unsure about wether the illness was covered by DDA.. The reasonable adjustments can be anything that make it easier for you to do your job without being in constant discomfort. They can range from extra rest breaks as with RA you cant be sitting all the time. It can be starting work 1 hour later so that your journey to work is easier. They can recommend different chair. The OHS is there for you and your employer. They would only reccomend you leave your job if you were in severe pain all the time and unable to do your job. So try not to worry to much. Like you when I was first diagnosed I had to go and see the OHS. It took me a long time to understand how best to look after myself during flare ups and to admit that I had RA that I used to try and work through it that caused me to have longer periods off work. Down load the leaflets from this site and give them to your boss, I did and it gave him a bit of understanding.
    Try not to worry to much easier said than done I know. Let me know how you get on.

Issy