DLA MEDICAL

Options
nellie43
nellie43 Member Posts: 21
edited 24. Sep 2009, 11:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi feeling rather nervous ive got dla home visit next thur 9 am ooohhhhhhhhhhhh. i am trying to write every thing down cos i forget, i have read such horror stories!!!!! i have got a copy of the doctors report that the dla sent the gp to fill in.. will this doctor thats coming will he/she have read that??? just wondering ! does anyone know ?? x

Comments

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    nellie43 wrote:
    hi feeling rather nervous ive got dla home visit next thur 9 am ooohhhhhhhhhhhh. i am trying to write every thing down cos i forget, i have read such horror stories!!!!! i have got a copy of the doctors report that the dla sent the gp to fill in.. will this doctor thats coming will he/she have read that??? just wondering ! does anyone know ?? x

Just tell it like it is on a baaaaddddddd day, job done!

On a more serious note, I wonder how the people that make up these rules would feel if they had to undergo probing into a medical condition, in their own home, before they were believed about something their doctor wrote?

On a Breakfast TV program the other morning, a celeb doctor suggested that they were too involved in a patients condition to give an objective review of a patient for a dla award. Well, thats another six years training down the pan then.....

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    HI Nellie

You need to make sure you check all that the home visit doc writes down before you sign it.

I didnt do that the first time I had this medical at home. Only when I was turned down and the CAB welfare rights officer got all my medic's reports together did me and her pick up on the load of b@lls this doctor had written. He had contradicted himself in every section of the form. The part where the patient/client, or whatever we are called signs says something like 'I have read and agree the findings', which for me I hadnt and wasnt offered it to read.

On his second visit, because I appealed the decision to lower my level of DLA, (same doc appears to deal with same areas) did I tell him so, well, slightly different wording to above :lol:

Dont let the doc intimidate you.
    If you are asked for instance how far you can walk before the pain sets in but you have pain whilst sitting or getting out of a chair then tell it like it is.

Goes without saying that you have to be truthful of course.

I had my friend present for support and to help me with the undressing. (I was examined whilst laid on the sofa, think I had to take my top off), just thought I would mention that bit.

I hope you have had the help of a CAB or similar who has guided you with the form filling.

Good news though I might add that when I went to the appeal, (the CAB officer accompanied me and helped a lot) I was given higher DLA than I had first hoped for, so its not always a bad outcome. To be honest they could see my problems, according to the CAB officer.
    And the DLA panel told me they could not read the home visit doctor's writing, and one of the panel was a GP :roll: , so makes you wonder what these home docs get paid for doing this 'important' job of making it hard for the sick and disabled to get the help they are entitiled to.

As I keep on saying, I dont remember signing up
    for this disease. :(

Good luck
    Let us know the outcome wont you.

Kath
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Just wanted to wish you all the best for your appt on Thurs.

Deb
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Its Thurs pm now, so I expect you'v had your visit from the Dr. I hope all went well for you. I'll be looking out to see how you got on. My memory is bad too, I wrote a list to take to the GP, then left it at home, got talking to the Dr and forgot half the things I wanted to ask. We where comparing Carpel tunnel surgery scares!
    Take care, love Sue
  • nellie43
    Options
    sarahh wrote:
    Hope all went ok?

I had mine 3 weeks ago, and am still waiting on an answer :)

hi sorry its next thur :roll:

how did it go? x
  • topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Good Luck..
    xx
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    There's a Personal Capability Assessment Form at http://www.samh.org.uk/assets/files/18.pdf

Scottish, but contains all the information in a check-list that is helpful.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I had a home visit from a doctor the second time I applied, I had a male doctor who was very kind and did every thing he could to make me feel settled, he gave me alot of time to ask questions etc, I hope you get on ok love Jaspercatxx
  • nellie43
    Options
    HELLO everyone well doctors been not here for long he was a older man very nice............ but thinking was he too nice?? my brain is a bit slow i now think he he focused on what i can do rather than cant! didnt get too tell him about half my problems, pains he put his pen away before he examined me!!!! oh well its too late now....at least its over just got to wait for the brown letter now!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

thanks everyone for your support it was so stressfull the build up but it was all over in 50 mins xx :lol: