Me? A Union Rep?

Options
eckstardeluxe
eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
Well folks I must be doing something right, either that or I'm just a mouthpiece.

I was approached this week by the Chairman of our Union, they want me to run for election next time round. They said they need a good, knowledgable female rep.

I thanked them and was flattered but said I really couldn't commit to the level they deserve given I am working 18 hours. I also said I'd go home at night worrying myself sick for people. The Chairman said that the minute I stopped doing that then I wouldn't be doing my job! Nice to be thought of and singled out for this praise but really can't do it with the kids being so young. Told them I might consider it in the future though.

Can you imagine me though, jeez I'd have my knuckles clenched under the table! :lol:

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Eck
    You would be GREAT!!
    It might not be great for you though :shock:
    When I was a Social Worker I was up all night worrying - not good eh?
    You might be like that!
    But I am very very pleased they asked you - and they were right to too :)
    Toni xx
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Eck
    You would be GREAT!!
    It might not be great for you though :shock:
    When I was a Social Worker I was up all night worrying - not good eh?
    You might be like that!
    But I am very very pleased they asked you - and they were right to too :)
    Toni xx

Thanks Toni, it was really nice of them. But I know me and I would not be able to sleep for worrying about people and if they might lose their jobs. I have enough to worry about just now without that added stress.
  • markc1
    markc1 Member Posts: 253
    Options
    Deffo you should do it,Alex you would be great at it!
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    markc1 wrote:
    Deffo you should do it,Alex you would be great at it!

Thanks Mark. I genuinely will consider it if things settle down and the kids get older. I did tell my physio last time my aim by next year was to try and get up to 24 hours a week but they said just to take it easy and wait and see what happens as they don't want me pushing things. I am helping folk at work on the side and will continue to do that and still will accompany people who have asked me into meetings but just nt ready for the full responsibility the role needs.
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Hi Eck
    i think you would be great too, if i needed a rep i would want someone like you on my side. but like you say with young kids its not the right time, no point making yourself stressed then you cant help anyone. but good to know its something for the future :D
    page
  • topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    Options
    You would be brilliant!!!!!.....
    Everytime i post on here about a prob with work , i always hope you will reply....You give great advice...
    Eck...Im trying to understand the minefield that is Tax Credits...How does it work for disabled people in work????
    xx
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    topgirl wrote:
    You would be brilliant!!!!!.....
    Everytime i post on here about a prob with work , i always hope you will reply....You give great advice...
    Eck...Im trying to understand the minefield that is Tax Credits...How does it work for disabled people in work????
    xx

Hi Topgirl. If you work over 16 hours and receive DLA you qualify for the Disabled Element of Working Tax credit. How much you get is dependent on your income. eg If you have a partner their income will also be taken into account, if you have children also. If you are single and your income is low you are likely to receive a good proportion of the disabled element. If you google Tax credits Calculator and go on the Government website, there is a calculator where you answer questions re your circumstances. It will then tell you your likely entitlement.

You have to be what they call in renumerative employment. If you are on the sick you can still claim Working Tax Credits up to 28 weeks. After this you must end your work details with them, as Eileen has done above. Even if you have a partner with income and you are still within the 28 weeks, it is still important to tell tax credits you are disabled as it increases your threshold. This is the limit you can earn before your credits reduce. With this additional element on your claim it means you can earn more than before without it reducing.

Good luck
    xxxx
  • topgirl
    Options
    Thanks Eck!!!!...
    I have never known such a complicated system :!: ...I rang them yesterday to give them some changes....
    Son going to college...
    Hubbie had payrise....
    My disability....
    Im getting an extra £50 a month for the disability....which is great...
    I found it pretty strange that they didnt ask for me to send any proof of disability????im wondering if they contact DLA to check....
    Another question????( sorry)...if im still employed ( im on long term sick untill i see an improvement with medication) but not getting paid, am i still classed as employed?????
    Thanks
    Kay
    xx
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    topgirl wrote:
    Thanks Eck!!!!...
    I have never known such a complicated system :!: ...I rang them yesterday to give them some changes....
    Son going to college...
    Hubbie had payrise....
    My disability....
    Im getting an extra £50 a month for the disability....which is great...
    I found it pretty strange that they didnt ask for me to send any proof of disability????im wondering if they contact DLA to check....
    Another question????( sorry)...if im still employed ( im on long term sick untill i see an improvement with medication) but not getting paid, am i still classed as employed?????
    Thanks
    Kay
    xx

Hi Kay, they check through the dWP to see if you're getting DLA. If you are off sick but your employer is not paying you but you are still employed by them, as long as you are within the 28 weeks you still get it. You can also be on ESA and still get it provided you are within the 28 weeks also.You can claim for your son if he remains in college until he is 20. It used to be 18 but they increased it. Also if he decides to leave college and registers with the Connexions service you can still qualify for a little while too. Have you applied for EMA for your son? It's a grant. They will ask to see a copy of your award notice from tax credits, that's well worth doing.Here's a link - http://ema.direct.gov.uk/
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Congratulations Eck,

If circumstances where differrent eg your children older ect What a nice rep you would make.

Although I do not work I do look on here. I thought you were paid on here or something to give advice. You should be.

I think you should be you give lots of good advice, you seem so knowledgable about issuse's where work is concerned.

Congratulations anywaywhat a nice feather in your cap. Hubby must be proud of you.

love trisher xx
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    Congratulations Eck,

If circumstances where differrent eg your children older ect What a nice rep you would make.

Although I do not work I do look on here. I thought you were paid on here or something to give advice. You should be.

I think you should be you give lots of good advice, you seem so knowledgable about issuse's where work is concerned.

Congratulations anywaywhat a nice feather in your cap. Hubby must be proud of you.

love trisher xx

Aww thank you Trisher, yep hubby hears people who I've helped at work say it alot and I help him with stuff too, once going into a meeting with him when we were first going out and wrangling a big pay rise for him! He agrees though, I'm tired enough as it is, often after work I'm off to bed the minute he comes in to take over with the kids at 5pm. Just would be too much, but given it came from the head herself it was very nice to be thought off.
  • topgirl
    Options
    Thanks for that Eck....
    He cant get EMA....hes gutted....and thinks that ' bank of Mum' should provide !!!!....Its a very very complicated benefit system we have....im hoping and praying that at some point i can get back to work...and then i will have to fight to keep my DLA!!!!!Arrrrrhhhhhhh
    xxx
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    topgirl wrote:
    Thanks for that Eck....
    He cant get EMA....hes gutted....and thinks that ' bank of Mum' should provide !!!!....Its a very very complicated benefit system we have....im hoping and praying that at some point i can get back to work...and then i will have to fight to keep my DLA!!!!!Arrrrrhhhhhhh
    xxx

Ha ha, I know the Bank of Mum well. I'm 33 and that bank actually wants to pay out now!! Don't worry when he's a bit older like me, he'll do lots of nice things for you and then you'll be dying to give his kids stuff as my Bank of Mum does with me. Lol getting a tenner out of her back in the day was hard work, but when they are Grandmas they are like a slot machine paying out!
  • topgirl
    Options
    Lovin that reply Eck!!....Hes a typical teenager who thinks money grows on trees....BUT when his Mum's having a bad day , he looks after me( as long as he hasnt got a better offer!!)
    x
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I think you would be good at it but it would not be good for your stress levels. It is a good opportunity and in the future you may want to take it up. :)
    well done you must be well thought of and doing a grand job best wishes joanne :)
    Joanne
  • harleyd14
    harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
    Options
    hi there ecks,
    can i pose a question to you, as where ever i go i can never seem to get a straight answer......?
    right, here goes...
    work situation is crud, they were going to get rid of me under ill health dismissal, which i was more than happy with, 6 months down the line they have changed their mind and now want me to do 16 hours a week - 8 in week and 8 at weekend - i'm not happy about this as i can bearly stand for more than 20 mins at a time- this i dont need to explian to ANY of you on this as we are all the same i feel - and this would be 4 solid hours behind a till, no seating only standing - i know i could insist on a stool but to be honest my loyalty and everything else has gone as they have dragged this out for soooo long.....now i want to just LEAVE so here is my question (after all the babble) can i leave and with the help of a drs sick note can i go straight on to ESA?
    any straight forward advice and or help would be great as i can't even get hold of my union rep, left emails, phone messages, texts and voicemail and no one has ever got back to me, they are quick enough to take my subs each month tho' !!
    thanks for reading this, take care and have a good weekend, Sally.xx :D
  • blockhead
    blockhead Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi Eck,
    it is good that your concern and caring are recognized and appreciated, but I am concerned that your concerns are being swept away.
    I know many good Union reps who have burnt themselves out to the point of breakdown and I fear that you could do that to yourself through tryng to look after everyone else. You come first. Don't be pressured into anything. Either way, it is a very tough decision, so please do listen to your instincts.
    Best wishes