Neck stiffness

Options
madness1985
madness1985 Member Posts: 293
edited 24. Sep 2009, 18:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello All,

Ive been in bed all day. As my foot has swollen ive been absolutly drained, my hands n wrists feel like they are lobsters! Anyway over the past couple of days ive been gettin really bad neck stiffness (its been quite cold) and im wondering if its artheritis again? I have no symptoms of being ill but my neck is realli hot like my wrists. Im considering rining the rhmertologist tommorrow as im not being seen for another 2 weeks ..

Anyone got any advise

(also time of month if that helps sorry for tmi there lol)

xx

Comments

• ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Stiff and painfull neck is all to often a symptom of Arthritis, I have this and end up with migraine type headaches every day when it's really bad.I use hot/cold packs to help ease the stiffness and pain.
    It's a good idea to see your Rhumey earlier if you can but if you can't then I'd say see your GP and see what he/she says.
    Do hope you feel easier soon, I'm sure there will be others on here who can give you more suggestions.
    rita
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Madness,

I agree with Rita cus a stiff neck wears off and with the other swellings I would certainly see the doctor. I hope its soon sorted and in the mean time I find heat helps my neck and shoulder, though the swelling in my wrists are better with cold water so what ever works best for you put on it. Some times heat is better treated with cold compresses but I really am a coward and couldn't put something cold on my neck. I sometimes wrap a scarf round my neck and it seems to help. Mine is oa and pa so it is well worth getting the doctor to see you sooner than your Rumo appointment. take care Cris
  • madness1985
    madness1985 Member Posts: 293
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Its my worse nightmare getting into my neck/shoulders because the RA has realli ruined my life already, i dont even have a mobile and using the net is painful. I find its better when in a bath (had one last night!). Also when im sleeping mind unless i have extream pain i tend to sleep well :) Im going to ring my rhmer nurse in the morning and get some advise i got it last winter before the diagnoises so though it was just the cold!

xx
  • maud48
    maud48 Member Posts: 170
    Options
    Hi Madness
    Really sorry to hear about the neck pain. I've got OA in lots of places including my neck and the neck is the worst as it really interferes with my sleep.
    Hopefully yours will improve soon but if not I've tried various things-
    a wheat pack is good for temporary relief or an electric heat pad, if it's a problem at night you could try a shaped pillow (they have a sort of ridge at the edge that supports your neck. Mine is made of memory foam.
    The thing I've found most helpful is a neck collar which I got from the physio (really glamorous I know and only to be worn in the dark!). It supports my neck while I'm sleeping and does help with the pain,
    Take care,
    Maud
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi I have OA in my neck and it gets very painful causes muscle spasms to go down my shoulders and arms. Its painful at the moment. On a really bad day it makes my headache. If you have a fever and any spots then call your GP. If you have any doubts about it call your GP, as it can be a symptom of menengitus (SP) . But I don't really want to worry you, as its not at all likely, just worth asking your GP. Hope you soon feel better. Love Sue
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    Hi,

As far as I know my OA isn't in my neck but it is a problem I suffer from. I went to a chiropractor a couple of years ago (he first noticed my hip probs that i had chose to ignore for years) and had my bones cracked and acupuncture whch helped at the time.

I am now waiting delivery on a wheat bag which can be used hot or cold (microwave or freeze) as my neck and shoulder has been really quite sore for the last couple of weeks.

Anne