wrist splints.

Options
minky67
minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
edited 25. Sep 2009, 12:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi all.ive got my splints,had them for just over a wk.there helping no end with the pain but,
problem 1,
they are to big for my wrists.the OT dept.had to get the smallest splints they had from the fracture clinic.
problem 2,
im having to wear tubigrip underneath as there rubbing on my deforming thumb bone & making it red & sore..
problem 3
the bit of metal in the hand bit that stops my wrists moving keeps moving/ falling out of the bottom of the splints,have to keep pushing it back in.
any1 got any answers to this problem.
thanks debs

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, It sounds like you need splints that fit, they sound awful. If they can't come up with something better, its not very good! I have splints but mine fit and I'm sorry that I can't suggest anything.
    I hope you get sorted quickly, as you don't want to get a pressure sore. Love Sue
  • minky67
    Options
    hi,mine aint too small.there too big.there the smallest size they do(so i was told)
    i have child size wrists.
    i'll take them to gp nx friday,then im at pain clinic on 14th oct,got to be something better than these.
    debs
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    Debs,

Is there not a department at the hospital that could make you ones that fit. I know this is slightly different but my aunt wears a leg splint and this was made specially for her and would only be suitable for her.

It sounds as if these splints could cause other problems and they should try and get you something that fits a bit better.

Anne

P.S just had another thought what about splints for a child? They must have something they ie to children that may suit your petite wrist.
  • salsal
    salsal Member Posts: 49
    Options
    my metal bit comes out too! also the strap that goes round my thumb always falls off but if i cut it off i wouldnt feel so supported. try and have reguar rests from them and pop a waterproof plaster on bony bit so splint will hopefully slide over it
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    You obviously need a solution quicky but what; if they are the smallest size?
    Surely children have to wear splints sometimes; perhaps your OT has another supplier if they make the effort. If and when you do get some splints,may I suggest you take the metal bit out and wash the splint a couple of times. Makes it abit softer. Have had to wear mine everyday forthe last fewweeks so it has needed a wash
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Options
    Can't help with the size problem.....
    For the metal strip I use a piece of double sided tape like they use to stick carpet down. Its a bit fiddly,..... I stick a piece about 2 inches long onto metal strip, then carefully push strip back in, but it works well for me.
    My problem is I destroy the splints...
    I use two sticks and put a lot of weight on my hands.........
    When my hands start working properly again, I'll make some leather covers for my stick handles......
    Ohhh maybe make my fortune that way????? yer right.

Cheers........... Rob x
    Roba045.gif
  • lyndagodbeer
    lyndagodbeer Member Posts: 10
    Options
    They do make small ones for children. My 17 yr old daughter wears an x-small one (she has cerebral palsy). I just checked the size in her spare one. She has also worn smaller ones then this.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I know that the OT that I used to work with made up splints to fit the patients. To get a good fit, its not easy to rely on pre-made things and our patients had a lot of problems with movement, so getting the right split was important, can you discuss the problem with your ot, as you can't be the only person who can't use the 'one size fits all' type. Mine isn't ideal, and I have spaces, but they dont hurt and the metal stays in place! Hope you find a solution to the problem, love Sue
  • minky67
    Options
    hi all,& thanks for the suggestion.
    i'll see if gp can refered me back to the OT & get some made up,your right they must do splints for children.
    Rob the carpet tape will try that in a bit as have some in the cupboard.

i would have thought when she saw they were to big she would have suggested making some up for me,then sent me home with these as a temporary measure.

thanks again all,i'll try some of the suggestions.
    luv debs
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    Debs, When i got my wrist splint the OT dept said that i could go straight back to them within the first six months without another doctors referral so i would ring them up you may not have to see your gp.
    good luck
  • minky67
    Options
    madwestie wrote:
    Debs, When i got my wrist splint the OT dept said that i could go straight back to them within the first six months without another doctors referral so i would ring them up you may not have to see your gp.
    good luck
    hi, thanks its worth a try.
    i'll ring them after lunch.
    debs
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Hi
    sorry your having probs
    they deffinity do childrens wrist splints and supports i have known kids as young as 4 to wear them.
    i realy dont think you should wear them when they fit so badly, as someone else said they will start to cause you other problems and sure you got enough to be getting along with.
    best wishes
    page
  • jordan7j
    jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
    Options
    Hi all, so many problems with these things!!! I have been told to wear mine all night, its impossible!! my hands go numb and throb. During the day i childmind two babies aged 17mth and 14mth so cannot wear them as changing nappies and washing hands all day. Explained this at clinic and at neurology when having nerve tests, was just told to wear them. At the moment I just wear them for a few hours at night and hope for the best. With regard to size, I used to work with special needs children, and OTs came into school to measure and make their splints, so they can obviously do this for you, its stupid to assume everyone is the same size. Good luck Jay :)