Dry Mouth/Ulcers and sore head

Options
joyful164
joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
edited 5. Oct 2009, 11:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Because of MTX and since the increased dose, the dryness and ulcers in my mouth were getting worse. So seeing my doctor yet again (he was in a bad mood because he had been thrown out of his office, another story for chit chat) I started going through this problem plus my aching swollen face.
He prescribed Oraldene and Glanddosane (Synthetic saliva)
I think it was because of this office business he didn't give me the response I wanted about my painful forehead. It's quite awkward because it is worse when I look down. I think I shall have to wait until I see my Rheumy consultant on 5/11.
joy

Comments

• mogwill
    mogwill Member Posts: 8
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Joyful

I find that drinks lots and lots of water helps with the head (quite quickly) and with the ulceration (eventually). The only way I can remind myself to keep drinking is to carry round a water bottle and aim to be refilling it frequently.

Anything's worth a go. Hope you feel better soon

Mogwill
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I'm sorry you are not getting on to well. Its very early days though and hopefully you'll settle down. Take care. Love Sue
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Joy,

Oh but it is wrong when they take their bad moods out on their patients! Get him to really look at your forehead and could you get your Rumo appointment forward? It might be an idea to phone the secretary and ask?

I hope you get some help and answers this time. Take care Cris x
  • laina2009
    laina2009 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi there i thought id just post this to say that i was on methotrexate for years and i was getting ulcers in my mouth then they were coming on my throat huge one`s i couldnt even eat or swallow they were soo bad.I eventually was getting vaginal ulcers that were actually caused from the methotrexate drug as i had swab tests done on the ulcers.I came off methotreate in sep 2008 and i`m now pregnant.I dont know if i will go back on the drug yet when my baby is born.
  • katejohn
    katejohn Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I also have minimal trouble with dry mouth, I do wake up with cotton mouth some mornings. MTX wasn’t working well enough for me, though it is a miracle for many people. That's what this is all about, getting just the right mix and dosage for control and relief of our symptoms, without the side effects. You may just need more folic acid to counteract some of the side effects and also dry mouth lozenges work as well. Its also important to keep yourself hydrated enough.
  • joyful164
    Options
    katejohn wrote:
    I also have minimal trouble with dry mouth, I do wake up with cotton mouth some mornings. MTX wasn’t working well enough for me, though it is a miracle for many people. That's what this is all about, getting just the right mix and dosage for control and relief of our symptoms, without the side effects. You may just need more folic acid to counteract some of the side effects and also dry mouth lozenges work as well. Its also important to keep yourself hydrated enough.

Thanks kate

I do take my folic acid almost every day except MTX - 24 hours either side of my injection. When I saw my GP with regards to my sore head and the dry mouth, he said it was the arthritis in my cranum and also gave me a prescription of Oraldene and an artificial surliver. Everythink is ok. I al I have taken on board the drinking of extra water.
    Thanks

joy
  • joyful164
    Options
    how ya feeling now joyfull :oops: :wink:

Hi Pixyandfaries

I'm ok, bit down today - just so tired. Think it's that time for hybernation again. The squirrels were round today gathering nuts.
    I think I will do the same.

Arts not going so well either. I have two project in my head and theyare giving me a headache