NHS Dentistry in Lincolnshire-Need A Recommendation Please?

Options
eastmidlandsman52
eastmidlandsman52 Member Posts: 27
edited 25. Sep 2009, 10:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello.

I realise this is a strange subject to put into Arthritis Care but there is a very valid reason for doing so.

I have multiple osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia the former of which has spread to my neck and spine. I am unable to lie down flat as doing so gives me a lot of neck pain. I sleep with my head raised when I'm in bed or,when its bad,sleep upright in a chair.

Although I live in Spalding,I have had to travel to London to get NHS Dentist treatment as nobody here would see me as an emergency or take me on as a patient. I've had to make 4 trips totalling 880 miles,taking 28 hours of travel time and costing £151 in fares and cannot face another trip next week. I have cancelled my appointment for the forseeable future.

At the dentists,I am laid flat out with a neck rest which doesn't support very well. As a result, I gag frequently, have been sick a couple of time,and am in some pain as treatment progresses. The dentist is totally oblivious to the fact I have multiple osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia and won't treat me in an upright position.

Do you know of any dentists in Lincolnshire who are equipped to help arthritis sufferers like me and could treat me in an upright position which would be far more comfortable than laying flat on my back please?I cannot face gagging, being sick nor endure any more pain as that from my four previous visits.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you very much.

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    How awful, can't the hospital see you they must have a maxio facial unit to deal with ackward cases, (not that you'r akward, the arther I mean, Oh Dear :oops: ) Seriously, have you tried phoning NHS direct, I think they have a dentist line now. I feel really sorry for you, we are lucky here, but I don't know how they'd be with anything out of the ordinary! When I went to the dentist for a check up a few weeks ago, it was a new dentist and he asked usual medical questions, I said I had OA in my neck, and he said he could examin me sitting up, but I can manage to lie back, it just gets stiff and painful. I don't know what he'd do about treatment. I haven't been for a while! :oops: :wink: Love Sue