TKR

Options
wendygrocott
wendygrocott Member Posts: 30
edited 25. Sep 2009, 11:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Had my TKR 15mths ago and still having problems my GP thinks I might benefit from some physio the knee still gets quite swollen and painfull. I am due to see the consultant in Oct as a follow up and to see how my Hip is holding out he may consider to do a Hip replacement I have already had my other hip done. But with the knee being so painful I don't see how I can as it's the same leg. I saw my GP and I am now following a better medication plan which has helped . I am also undecided about my hand op that was put on hold (sorry about the pun) when I had my knee done.Does any one else feel as though their life is consumed with operations and hospitals.

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I have OA, in my hip, neck and lumber spine, but I have't had any major surgery as my hip isn't bad enough and my neck, which is the real pain, is not an easy place to operate so they leave it if at all possible I have to have some physio on it though. I have had carpel tunnel done in my left hand, they will do the right one but I'm not keen as I'm right handed and it'll be out of use for a little while, but will seem a long time. It was bad enough having my left hand with dressings and not able to use, but at least I could use my right! Yes, you'r right I am getting obsessed! :wink: Hope you get all your bits done, pity they can't do them all at once! Although how you'd manage, I don't know! :wink::)
    Love Sue
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Wendy

Sorry that you're still in pain so long after your TKR. I'm seeing the consultant next week about my knees. One is pretty bad - completely bent - I just drag it along. Other one going the same way.

Have they x-rayed your knee to see if all is ok? Do you think you hip may be causing more problems in your knee? Saying that your knee shouldn't swell if it was your hip or would it??? I hope they have a good look at it. October seems so far away.

In the meantime take care and let us know what happens in October.

Sharmaine
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Wendy

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your knee. Do the doctors know why it is swollen and painful still after 15 months?

I have been told that I need a TKR, but I am still undecided about it. I also get pain in my hip on the same leg, but I am told that is bursitis, not OA. But sometimes the pain in my hip is worse than my knee, and I worry how I would cope after a knee operation. I am very nervous about having surgery, so keep managing without it, but I expect I will have to pluck up the courage at some point.

So many people say that a TKR has transformed their lives, but it is a big decision to make. I hope the doctors can find a way to improve the situation for you.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif