Homebirth?

Options
rosybremer
rosybremer Member Posts: 3
edited 26. Sep 2009, 05:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone have any experience of having arthritis, particularly in the hips and delivering a child at home? I'm pregnant, have arthritic hips (amongst other joints) but would none the less like to find out more about whther a homebirth is possible.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi rosy

Welcome to the forum and congratulations! Always love to hear that kinda of news. :D I cannot answer your question about home births - had mine a long time ago :lol: and no signs of "arthur" then.

Wouldn't your midwife be able to help and advise you on that one?

Look after yourself

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • suziev
    suziev Member Posts: 252
    Options
    rosybremer wrote:
    Does anyone have any experience of having arthritis, particularly in the hips and delivering a child at home? I'm pregnant, have arthritic hips (amongst other joints) but would none the less like to find out more about whther a homebirth is possible.

hiya

i can't think of a reason why you couldn't have a home birth as long as your midwife was happy. there is no hard or fast rules with regard to arthritis and pregnancy/giving birth.
    good luck
    suzie
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi there

I was due for a water birth. At the time it was not known I had seriously advanced OA in my spine. I went 10 days overdue, very shocked and so anything other than a Hospital birth went out the window. Mines ended up in an emergency section when problems with my back became apparent.

I wholeheartedly think home births are a great idea, but I do tell friends etc who are pregnant the best advice I can give - plan away but try not to get set on anything, one thing about labour and delivery is you just never know what's going to happen. If you are prepared for this it won't be such a shock if things don't go to your birth plan. In my experience when it went the opposite way I ended up feeling very low for a while.

Good luck, speak to your Midwife or Doctor, they will know your illness and can best advise you.
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    Hi
    Its been many years since I had my children but I think it is a lovely idea to have a homebirth. There should be no reason why arthritis should interfere with that one!! So long as your doctor and midwife are happy with everything, I would say go for it.
    Good luck and CONGRATULATIONS!!
    Gillx
  • rosybremer
    rosybremer Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi there

I was due for a water birth. At the time it was not known I had seriously advanced OA in my spine. I went 10 days overdue, very shocked and so anything other than a Hospital birth went out the window. Mines ended up in an emergency section when problems with my back became apparent.

I wholeheartedly think home births are a great idea, but I do tell friends etc who are pregnant the best advice I can give - plan away but try not to get set on anything, one thing about labour and delivery is you just never know what's going to happen. If you are prepared for this it won't be such a shock if things don't go to your birth plan. In my experience when it went the opposite way I ended up feeling very low for a while.
    Good luck, speak to your Midwife or Doctor, they will know your illness and can best advise you.
    Thanks for that; I completely agree about not being open to anything happening; the good, the bad and the hideous! (story of my life)!!!