can stress make you worse

Options
trisher
trisher Member Posts: 9,263
edited 27. Sep 2009, 06:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have had to come home from hospital early because I feel so bad.

I wonder if anyone might be able to help me. I don't want to complain . I have both RA and OA.

My neck is painful and the pain seems to be in my jaw, ear,and head and are throbbing. I had a dental check recently so it is not my teeth.

My wrists are very swollen and red. Also I have cramp in my hand I cannot pick anything up, as soon as I try to, up even a magazine or a newspaper it causes it to cramp and I drop it

My whole body is painful and cramping.

I feel exhausted just feel like is is to go to bed.

trisher xx

Comments

• psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

you have every right to complain!! you poor soul!! why do we feel guilty when life is so hard to us??

I suggest a warm bath, wrap up warm and listen to radio 7!! they tell lovely stories on there and just shut your eyes and let the words tell you a story!!!!!!!!

cyber hugs and dont feel bad about complaining - we all need to sometimes and on here we all understand!!

Louise
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Aw Trisher, I am so sorry. I firmly believe that stress does aggravate symptoms. and of course you are stressed and worried. It is a vicious circle, isn't it? We do get this inner strength at times like this, goodness knows where it come from, but it does take it out of us and that is probably what is happening now.

I so hope it was not a too distressing day for you and your husband and that he is as comfortable as possible and having the best possible care.

Is the cramp in the operated hand?

Perhaps bed and an early night is the best place for you, Trisher.

I sincerely hope that tomorrow things are improved for you.

Lots of love and gentle hugs,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Trisher,

I can't offer much advice except to agree with having a nice hot bath and early night, do you have strong pain killers? if not have you thought about asking the on-call gp to come out?

Hope you feel better soon love Jaspercatxx
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Trisher

As has already been said I'm sure stress can cause more problems and you've been having more than your fair share. Do speak to a Dr. or nurse and see if they can give you anything to help. Some say lavender oil helps, that's if you can stand lavender!

Hope your hubby has had a comfortable day.

Love
    Vonski x
  • trisher
    Options
    Hi Louise

I don't know I not used to moaning.

Anyone got a cyber radio. ?

I can't ask the nurses to give me a bath They are so busy with people who are very sick. Maybe I'll try and use the warm towels.

You take care.
    Love trisher xx
  • trisher
    Options
    Hi Elna

No the cramp is in the other hand. I wondered if the RA and OA could feel or be worse under stress. Perhaps I'll feel better if I get some good news.

I just hope he can hear me. I have made up stories about our grandson ect. It's just the not knowing.

I sincerely hope that tomorrow things are improved for you.

The doctors have given me injections for sleep, I suppose they are for stress as well. They are giving me them at night.

Thank you Elna

You take care

Trisher xx
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    Trisher,

I also believe that stress can make all symptoms worse. I agree with Jan ask the nurses if they can help you have a bath. Then have your injection and try and get a full nights sleep.

I hope you feel better in the morning and your husband improves.

Love Anne x
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    I firmly believe that stress manifests itself physically Trisher, Also, you`ve probably been sitting hour after hour at the hospital, all tensed up, which would explain the neck, jaw, and head pain.

Please speak to a nurse, don`t try to deal with it alone. If you don`t tell them, they can`t help you, and will assume that all is well.
  • trisher
    Options
    Yes that's the feeling in my jaw, ear and head throbbing.

I don't know how bad my Arther is compared with others. My wrists are out of shape and I have it in my loewr spine and hips. I cannot sit up straight.

All I really know is they don't know how to treat me because of all the other medical problems I've got and the medication I have to take. I'm still on Sulfa but it's not working.

No I've not said much as there are very sick people in here cancer ect. They are very nice but very busy. Maaybe I'll have a word with someone.

Thankks Lynn. Sorry about your bobble hat

Lots of love You take care

trisher xx
  • trisher
    Options
    Hi Vonski

I used to use lavender mixed with Almond oil, when I was under the pain Clinic I had complimentary treatment at home. I'll see if I can get some.

I will see if the doctors are not too busy I'll talk to them.

Thanks Vonski

Love trisher xxx
  • trisher
    Options
    Hi Ange

I sent a reply to your pm. Ok, I will see if the doctors are busy. It's just that they are run off their feet. They have still been giving me injections a night.

Take care

love trisher xxx
  • trisher
    Options
    Hi Jan

No change in him still critical.

Ok "Mum" I'll do as I'm told. It just seems to be all over me, my chest as well as back etc.

take care

Love trisher xx
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Hi Trisher, just picked up this thread. Oh honey, you have so much going on. If you want a bath ask the nurses. The others may be sick but they are probably more able than you!!!! He who shouts loudest, and you know how some people moan!!! Ask the doc as well.

I wish I could do more to help you. You sound as if you are flaring and I am not suprised you need to get it nipped in the bud and you need proper care which is why you are in the respite to start with. You are just as deserving as anyone else. There are no tiers in there, luv.

Sorry, if I sound ranting, I just want the best for you. You deserve it.

Hugs, I hope you feel better soon and I hope your hubby picks up.

DEb x
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    hi Trisher,even without the arthr, the stress your under would be a hell of alot to cope with.
    you have got reason to ask for help.you need & want a bath to help you relax. so please ask them.
    yes there busy, yes you feel like the've got a lot on with sick people, but you are too & you need help.
    thats what their there for,they get paid to help you.
    so please ask.
    sometimes you have to be selfish & say hang on a minute im not well either & i really do need some help.
    ive been in hospital have just sat back & said nothing,then pleaded with nurses that i hadnt had my hair washed for over 2 wks as i didnt want to bother them,but there comes a point when you have to ask.i got ignored til i got sister to my bed & i was crying by that time.
    i sincerely hope that things get better for you & hubby improves.
    ask luv please.
    luv debs
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Trisher

Yes, I do firmly believe that RA and OA will be aggravated by great stress and this is exactly what you are going through at the moment. Like you say, I also feel that you would feel such relief, if you received good news it would be like a great weight off your shoulders, if you know what I mean. I remember you saying you received an injection to make you sleep where you are staying. I feel that tonight, that is far more important for you than a bath, especially if the nurses are busy with others. You need to rest. You have had an operation and a horrenduous shock with your husband being taken so ill.

I so hope tomorrow is a better day for you and your husband. Things can change from day to day, I know that from when my mum was critically ill in ITU and hospital for over three months.

My thoughts are with you Trisher for a more positive day tomorrow.

Lots of love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Hi Trisher.
    It really is time for you now.
    You need some looking after. Stress can manifest itself in lots of ways and with all the health problems you obviously have,you are going to be quite poorly if you don't rest your mind and body.

I haven't had half the problems you havehad, oh yes, there's jacqui,but I am resigned that there is not much I can do at the moment Certainly later.
    Suggest you have a nice soak, ask for help, yu deserve it.
    hope you feel rested tomorrow.
    joy
  • karinak
    karinak Member Posts: 113
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    I have had to come home from hospital early because I feel so bad.

I wonder if anyone might be able to help me. I don't want to complain . I have both RA and OA.

My neck is painful and the pain seems to be in my jaw, ear,and head and are throbbing. I had a dental check recently so it is not my teeth.

My wrists are very swollen and red. Also I have cramp in my hand I cannot pick anything up, as soon as I try to, up even a magazine or a newspaper it causes it to cramp and I drop it

My whole body is painful and cramping.

I feel exhausted just feel like is is to go to bed.

trisher xx

Hello Trisha, Poor you, take a nice hot bath with 3 cups of epsom salts in and pick up a copy of the drug free way to arthritis by Margaret Wilson........a must read for arthritics :)
    Hope you feel better soon Karina x
  • trisher
    Options
    HI Deb,

I have asked the nurses, they are going to give me a bath when they have settled the other patients .They are going to tell the doctor. He will be back up here soon.

Then I plan to try and go to sleep. I understand what everyone is telling me.

They do not seem to know much about Arthritis. It is mainly cancer patients. There are one or two respite cases. I've not met them yet.
    Thanks for your message though.

Take care

trisher xx
  • trisher
    Options
    Hi Debs

I hope you are feeling better now.

Your are right. I have asked the nurses. They are going to give me a bath then I'm having the injection earier and I'm going to bed.

Thanky you, re hubby though I sure hope he does.

love trisher xx
  • trisher
    Options
    Hi Joy

yes I have had some very real problems lots of surgery done.

I just have never felt so bad as Iam with arthur at the moment.

Thanks for your reply.

love trisher xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Trisher,

Yep stress can really mess your body about. You have had so much recently and well I hope you get a good night and that your husband soon improves and you can relax a bit soon,

Hope you enjoyed your bath and when does you next see your Rumo? If the sulfa isn't working is there any chance they can bring your appointment forward a bit? Mind I am with you on the sulfa, its not done nothing too obvious for me either but I am a week behind you I think?

You take care, to say try not to worry is silly but I hope you can get a bit of relaxation and decent sleep.

Love and a ((( )))

Cris x
  • suziev
    suziev Member Posts: 252
    Options
    hello

i hope you get a good night sleep, you really have been having a hard time of it and i do hope your hubby gets better soon.
    i am 100% sure that stress makes my RA worse!
    i hope things return back to normal for you soon.
    with love suzie x
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,953
    Options
    Hi Trisher.
    I hope you are feeling better now.
    try not to worry.
    i hope your husband is getting on all right.
    take care i will be thinking about you.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Hi Trisher, I hope you enjoyed your bath and had a good nights sleep. How are you today? Hope the bath eased your joints slightly.

Thinking of you

Deb x
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Trisher

I so hope that you felt a little better today and that you found your husband well cared for when visiting him.

Lots of love
    Elna x(())