Have i got AS ?

Options
berni43
berni43 Member Posts: 2
hi
Been in pain for nearly three weeks with my lower back. Started as a day of niggles and the next day i woke up with severe lower back spasms and ended up at A&E having diazepam and an abdomen x ray as blood in urine so doc thought it might be kidney stones. Turned out i was diagnosed with a UTI so antibiotics and painkillers. Been back and forward to my GP since then as pain in lower back is still bad and been using therawrap heat pads alternating with ice packs but no relief. Finally was sent for back x rays this week and radiographer states they show Ankylosing Spondylitis and rotated spine and abnormal spinal curvature. Not due to see my GP till early next week and x ray results wont be back till week after. What do you advise? Can i insist on an MRI scan and Rheumatology appointment ? ....my brother was diagnosed with arthritis and my sister has possible osteoarthritis....

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Finally was sent for back x rays this week and radiographer states they show Ankylosing Spondylitis and rotated spine and abnormal spinal curvature. Not due to see my GP till early next week and x ray results wont be back till week after. What do you advise? Can i insist on an MRI scan and Rheumatology appointment ?
    Hi
    Just to say - usually the GP will refer you on anyway to get all of this checked out with a rheumatologist. After that, depending on the diagnosis, all the treatment plan should kick in. This usually includes some physio and exercises. If you are worried during the week then ring us at the Helplines on 0808 800 4050 for a bit of support. Depending on what they finally say we have lots of information to help you through. Take care - and try to have a good weekend.
    Penn