METHOTREXATE AND HIGHER ALT RESULTS

Options
yorkie
yorkie Member Posts: 57
edited 28. Sep 2009, 03:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
JUST HAD MY MONTHLY BLOOD TEST.
BEEN ON METHO SINCE LAST OCTOBER
ALT RISEN FROM 33 TO 133
RHUMY NURSE I RANG SAYS MISS NEXT COURSE OF METHO TILL I HAVE ANOTHER BLOOD TEST NEXT WEEK.

HAS ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN ? IS IT JUST A BLIP IN THE TREATMENT AS SHE CALLED IT.
I DONT WANT LIVER DAMAGE.
YORKIE... :(

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    HI Yorkie,

The first thing I would say is don't panic! As I understand it, they take care but a one-off higher number isn't always bad.

I seem to remember reading other people on here saying that they had had the odd blip with the ALT whilst on MTX.

Only 2 weeks ago my ALT was above the upper limit (40-something, can't remember what) and the next week they did another blood test and it was back into the low 30's again. My nurse said that the ALT is a very variable marker, and that a lot of things can send it skywards.

hope that helps, andthat your next blood tests are ok.

It is a pig having to miss a MTX dose isn't it? (I have had to this week as I have a mouth ulcer :cry: )
  • topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Yes, it happened to me but on Sulpasalazine...for 2 blood checks it went up to 147 and 142 :shock:
    Just think if you have took any extra meds etc...odd drink...even if you are feeling ill.....????? Thats what Rumy nurse asked me....Even now i havent got a clue what caused it and it is now fine....
    wierd eh.....Hopefully ur bloods will be fine soon too...
    xx
  • yorkie
    yorkie Member Posts: 57
    Options
    topgirl wrote:
    Yes, it happened to me but on Sulpasalazine...for 2 blood checks it went up to 147 and 142 :shock:
    Just think if you have took any extra meds etc...odd drink...even if you are feeling ill.....????? Thats what Rumy nurse asked me....Even now i havent got a clue what caused it and it is now fine....
    wierd eh.....Hopefully ur bloods will be fine soon too...
    xx

THANKS FOR REPLYS
    TOPGIRL HOW LONG WERE YOU OFF SULPASALAZINE BEFORE BLOOD RIGHT?
  • topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    Options
    I never came of it!!!!....I have actually highered the dosage now...
    I think i had been on it 6 weeks when i had the 2 high results...my bloods have been fine since( been on it 6 months now)...
    I hope yours is a bit more settled now..
    xx