O.T ???

Options
harleyd14
harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
edited 26. Sep 2009, 15:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi there, can anyone help me here, i need to get occy health / therapy not sure which one, to access my house (i live in a HA house) as there are too many steps for me to climb - 10 external up to the door and then the usual internal amount, my HA have said that until they have a reprt then they are not going to consider rehousing or doing adjusments. Now my question is where do i go to get this, is it something i have to pay for, and is it legal and recognised if you see what i mean. Any help and/or advice would be great, i know someone will know something, so in advance THANKYOU !!! all the best and have a great weekend peeps.xxxx Sally xxxx :D

Comments

• sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sally

You can ring your local Social Services and speak to the O.T. directly. They're normally great at getting back to you and put you on a priority list for home visits. My OT has been brilliant and I now have some aids in place at home to make my life easier. You can also ask your GP to write you a letter explaining your disabilities and that you simply cannot manage the steps at home - just ask the HA who to address it too. Most GPs would be happy to deal with your request in writing provided you give them the details - if not simply make an appointment.

I don't know if the OT can write a report for you but there's no harm is asking. Are you under a Rheumy? They can write on your behalf too. Have you also tried the Citizens Advice bureau?

Good luck with this.

Sharmaine
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, I went through the social services, and an OT came round, checked out what I needed, in my case they arranged for a half step to be put in as my front step was really high, and also a low level shower. I live in HA flat, but with the OT's help I get a Disabled Facilities Grant from the council.

So your first step should be the social services, help this helps love Jaspercatxx