All a bit overwhelming

Options
snuggles
snuggles Member Posts: 2
edited 26. Sep 2009, 17:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

This is my first post and if it's in the wrong place - sorry - I'm not that computer literate.

I was diagnosed with arthritis in my knees last year - eventually. To start with my GP seemed to imply the pain was all in my mind. He gave me some codeine which I took for a while and then stopped as it was making me sleepy and I am a community worker so need to be alert to drive.

My knees seemed to get better anyway - I got the odd twinge, but nothing I couldn't cope with.

Last week the pain has returned with a vengeance. At one point I couldn't climb my stairs as it hurt too much to bend my right knee. It felt like my bones were rubbing together.

I'm single, with no family, a huge mortgage and work three jobs. I'm now terrified I am going to be unable to work, will lose my home and end up on the streets living rough (complete with my eight cats and four bunnies :( )

I know I am catastrophising and scaring myself but I couldn't do my jobs if I couldn't get out and about - two are community based work.

I don't know what type of arthritis I have - have never had an X-ray - but think it's affected my neck and shoulders too as I had to have physio there last year for a similar pain.

Having read some of the posts on here I can see my arthritis is not as severe as many of you have and hope it is OK for me to join the forum. I just feel so lonely and scared. I do have some good friends but they have no idea how it feels as there is nothing visibly wrong with me.

Sorry this is so long and thank you for reading (if you've managed to get to the end!)

Comments

• debbieclap
    debbieclap Member Posts: 109
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Snuggles
    welcome to the site it is difficult because people cannot see anything wrong with us they think we should be ok I have OA just had both hips replaced so much better now.
    I would go back to my Dr and ask if he can help you I take anti inflammatory tablets cannot do with out them they really help.
    Hope you feel better soon
    Debbie
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Hi, it is a bit daunting when you first realise you have arthritis. There are lots of meds that can help, anti-inflammatories can be a real help. Heat and ice can lessen the pain. You could give the helpline team, they can talk you through things.

Lots of us have arthritis but still manage to live fulfilling lives and work. Talk to your gp to discuss your options.

Take care

DEb
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Welcome Snuggles (love the username :D)

Sorry you are feeling overwhelmed at the moment. I am new here too and have something of a similar situation. Live alone with no family nearby and doing two jobs I don't want to give up with my dodgy hip and knees getting worse, over the last 6 years. One thing I have quickly realised on here is that, like you I need more advise from my unhelpful GP as to what is actually going on and have made another appointment to do that.
    Certainly anti-inflammatory and painkillers have helped me to keep as mobile as possible but it would be helpful to know more about what we are up against.
    I know the people on here will certainly make you welcome, give you a laugh, or just listen and offer relevant advise if they can when you feel down.
    And we will all want to get to know the cats too.
    take care
    Chris
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi snuggles :D

Welcome to the forum. You will not feel so alone with it all now as we all have "arthur" to a greater or lesser degree and all ages too. There are so many different types of arthritis, the main ones being Osteo Arthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis. We all try to help each other as much as we are able and offer lots of sympathy. This forum is good to express your feelings of how you REALLY are and we do understand whereas friends and family sometimes do not, because as you say, there are sometimes no outward signs.

You do need to get back to your gp and if he is not knowledgable enough about arthritis, he should refer you to a pain clinic, a consultant or a rheumatologist. A blood test to check to see if you have RA is a start and xrays too. Never let any medic tell you it is in your mind, it most certainly is not. We do unfortunately have to fight for attention sometimes, depending on whether one has a sympathetic gp or a gp who is willing to refer you.

I hope to see you posting more and we will do our utmost to help you, as we do everyone.

Look after yourself

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi snuggles we r all at different stages and all r welcome wether to moan or just post. we have all been through the can i keep working ect. go back to doc and see if u can get rhummy app. as the sooner u get right meds the less damage u will get lots of people work with arther so it not the end of life as u know it take things one step at a time and good luck
    val
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options
    Yes, we are all at different stages of our condition with a myriad of types of arthritis. Pain means different things to different people, I'm tall, living on past fitness, if I have half my strength left then I am most probably stronger than a lot.

I would hope that I can continue to come on here without feeling I need to fit in or say the right things (I doubt if I do). I would hope that all newbies can feel that they can start writing and join in as soon as they feel a need to.

Just don't let the b*&%g%rs get us down!

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • pheebs
    pheebs Member Posts: 202
    Options
    Hi Snuggles,

Hello, and nice to meet you.

I really sometimes wonder what planet GP's live on!! It took 3 years for me to have an x-ray of my thumb/wrist despite having already had an op (fusion) on my toe, and being told I have arthritis in my right knee.

I've now had the op on my thumb - still wearing the rather large boxing glove type dressing!! However, like you, it makes me a bit anxious that maybe one day I won't be able to do so much, and although my younger son still lives at home he won't be here for ever.

I also have 4 bunnies and he is having to clean them out for now - and I have to say he's making a good job of it. It's not easy sweeping up rabbit droppings - they roll everywhere!!!!

Maybe you should try speaking to a different GP - say you want an x-ray or blood tests so you can at least find out what type of arthritis you have.

Everyone here is really nice, and funny too so you're in good company.

Best wishes, Pheebs x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    if we did not laugh some days we would cry so we have cyber cafe and pub just to keep spirits up not to mention arther house which i think i will be voted out next lol so welcome we all fetch some thing to add to the mix and experience what ever we learn we share and we all win that wat and arther looses big time good luck keep in touch
    val