Seating in Churches and Halls

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 28. Sep 2009, 03:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
We live next door to the Church, and as its Harvest Festival and I used to be a keen Church attender, I went to the nice little service in the old Church. The only trouble was the pews, old fashioned wood with about 6" of seat and a wooden back. I managed to sit through the service and enjoy it, although not very comfortable.

At the end of the service I had to walk out accross the Churchyard and into my cottage. I was in such pain and very unstready! :oops: The worst part was knowing people could see me walking like an old lady! :oops: I wished I'd talken my stick, but didn't think it would be needed as walking into Church was fine. :?

I don't know what the rules are regarding seating for people with spinal problems like mine, but I would think they should have to have a few chairs, with arms and a cushion. Although having just written this, I wonder if I would have been too proud to use them if they had been there? I suppose I could write to the PCC and suggest they might like to think about this. When you'r OK and don't have pain, its easy just not to be awhere of that sort of problem. Love Sue

Comments

• tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Why not treat yourself to or make one if your skills are up to it , a beautiful firm cushion to carry with you, it can be quite small and very firm it might just make the difference, a friend bought a beautiful oblong velvet cushion that was so pretty with embroidery and some sewn on flowers.. or it could be just plain..
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hi, Thats a great idea, it may start a fashion, you never know! But the idea of making it myself and not just sitting and moaning and expecting someone else to do something, is a simple but lovely idea, especially for an old Church that is working so hard to raise enough money to fix the roof (its nearly there :) ), is a way of being independant and cutting costs. I am a crafty person. In every sense of the word!!! :shock: Thank you for the idea. Love Sue
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Sue

I think churches should think about things like this because it does put people off if they are uncomfortable. The wooden pews can be awful if you have to sit on them for a long service. Even with a cushion to sit on, the backs can be very uncomfortable. They go back to an age when people were expected to sit bolt upright and not complain. I'm sure some chairs could be provided, so I would mention it to the vicar.

I know what you mean about feeling self-conscious about walking with a stick. I use a stick, and sometimes if I meet someone I haven't seen for a while, I can see the look of shock on their faces. However, I have learned not to bother about it, and I call my stick a new fashion accessory. It's an attitude of mind really, and I would rather feel safer walking than worry about what people think.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Hi, Thats a great idea, it may start a fashion, you never know! But the idea of making it myself and not just sitting and moaning and expecting someone else to do something, is a simple but lovely idea, especially for an old Church that is working so hard to raise enough money to fix the roof (its nearly there :) ), is a way of being independant and cutting costs. I am a crafty person. In every sense of the word!!! :shock: Thank you for the idea. Love Sue

Now, that's a good earner. Start making them, sell them to the congregation and perhaps a bit of commission to the church.
    Oh well.

joy
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sue,

That is a really good idea and if you know the Vicar well enough could you possible take your own chair with you? I am sure once explained they should say yes? Luv Cris x
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi
    My church has some `stand` chairs at the back of church and some `comfy` upholstered chairs with arms. After my THR my hubby would carry a chair and put it alongside their seats in the pew so I could sit comfortably and stretch my leg out. No one minds as long as you are there and make yourself as comfy as you can. I also have a carry cushion which I use in the car (like a wedge) and I take it in if I need to.
    I have been sitting in the pew again but don`t think i will be able to for much longer due to my other hip complaining!
    NB
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    can you sit on the kneeling cushions?
    I have problems even on comfy chairs.
    Sometimes i have rolled up my coat and sat on that.
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    We have chairs at our Church for when we have an extra busy service but these are plastic and certainly less comfy :? than the pews!! I'm sure no one would mind you taking a cushion along with you if it makes your visit more comfortable. At my old Church we had strips of bound carpet along each pew. This was to help with the lack of decent heating but did give some relief to the hardness. I went this morning on my own (very rare I usually have at least one child in tow!) so I managed to sit in the Nave instead of the North Aisle. A couple of minutes into the sermon I found I was fidgeting and it wasn't because the Curate gave a bad sermon it was because I was uncomfortable. I had managed to get into a corner of the pew and this relieved a bit of the stress as I could lean against the side. Where I usually sit, I can get up and walk about a bit if necessary and not disturb the rest of the congregation. The people at our Church know of my condition and are quite accepting of my need to move about.
    Talk to your Vicar I'm sure he would be more than willing to help come up with a solution.
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    The pews are uncomfortable - is it so one won't get too comfy and doze off during a long sermon :wink:

I now take my cane into church with me; and I am afraid that I no longer kneel down when the Service calls for it, I perch on the edge of the pew and lean forward - thats the nearest to kneeling I can get! I've never seen any ordinary chairs - but then I've never looked for any.... I shall next time I go.

I have to admit that, being a Catholic, I am sad at not being able to genuflect anymore :(

Jackie x
  • woodbon
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, I shall just mention the problem as I'm sure I'm not the only one to have problems. We don't have kneelers to use as cushions! :shock: As thousands of pounds worth of building work is soon to start, to keep the fabric of the Church sound, it would be nice if they could just add a few extras to help people who have sitting problems. I don't think people without these problems realise just how much pain something like that can cause. I felt OK before I went, and as its next door literally I thought I didn't need my stick, I hadn't taken into account the effect the seating would have! :shock: It was a nice service; Harvest Festival. Love Sue :)
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    this is a very interesting thread ......

I have a slightly different observation, perhaps because our church is a methodist chapel.

When we began attending the church 14 years ago, there were wooden pews throughout, both downstairs and upstairs in the gallery. A few years ago all the downstairs pews were taken out and replaced by chairs. The majority do not have arm rests, but there are are some chairs with arm rests strategically placed throughout the church for those who need them. The pews were kept upstairs, but were cushioned to help with the numb bum problem!

I now find that I am most comfy Upstairs, as I found that the chairs were not at the right height for me. Worse, when I am downstairs and I use the chair in front to lean on in order to get up, if the person in front is one who is able to leap up in seconds, I have been known to tip their chair up and end up in an ungainly heap on the floor! :oops:

The wooden pews do have the advantage that they will not move when I use them to lever myself up, so I can be found climbing the stairs even on the days when I need my stick :lol::lol: despite the number of people who kindly suggest that I might like to have a seat downstairs!

do mention it to the church .. I am sure they would rather know and think about how they could help.
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hi, One of the reasons for having something in the Church that people can use, is that its welcoming and shows a bit of thought. Also, some people who have come from a different parish may not realise they could have a problem. I admit to loving the old wooden pews and I'd hate to see them taken out compleatly, but just a few chairs would be thoughtful in any church. After all if you'r taking poor old Granny to a Wedding, she may be very uncomfortable! :lol: But the Church is trying to be more welcoming and get people to go back, I just thought that a gesture like this would be apprecaited. I'm defo going to raise it!!! :D Love Sue