Methotexate over Use-By-Date

Options
andreainwales
andreainwales Member Posts: 3
edited 27. Sep 2009, 20:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello All,
I am new to the Forum. I have been reading your postings with interest and am glad to have found others in the same situation as myself. I have severe RA and, amongst other medication ofcourse, have been taking Methotrexate for about 5 years now.
Since starting on HUMIRA, I could lower my methotrexate levels and I am on 10 mg. My husband injects it weekly and it's in specially prepared syringes.
In July I was not wel and not allowed to take any methotrexate.
In August I started taking it again, didn't feel very well, but put that down to stress and not being a 100%. Four weeks in I discovered by acciden, that the Methotrexate I had been injected with for the whole month of August, had a Last Use-By-Date of June, so was over a month over the last date to be used.
Onvioisl it's not agood idea and it's happended so there's not much I can do about that, but does anyone know of any possible consequences? I haven't discussed it with my Reumatologist as she is not very sympathetic and I find it quite hard to talk to her.
Great to get that off my chest as I have been slightly worried since.
Hope that someone out there can advise me, maybe I can take something ? Thanks in advance for any replies. Take Care, Andrea

Comments

• joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't suppose it is advisable to use it out of date. You need to get a fresh batch ordered, and you will have to do that through the Rheumy department. Can you not ring through to the Consultant's secretary because it is an emergency.

good luck

joy
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    do talk to your rheumatology team - try the nurse if you don't want to talk to the consultant.

It would be a good idea always to check the use by date before each injection .... especially if your delivery company are like mine, and often send 8 syringes with several different expiry dates.

Can't give you any advice about the MTX effectiveness, but do get advice as they will have all the info at the hospital.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Andria,

I am sorry you don't have a sympathetic Rumo but if its like food and the vit content then a month out or so shouldn't make too much difference. the vit contents then drop in amounts by 10% a month (roughly) and you do need to talk to the nurse and make sure you have in date stuff from now in. I don't know what medicines % drop is but it may not be as effective so please talk to the nurse. Take care, Cris