Flare ups?

Options
tinyzab
tinyzab Member Posts: 22
edited 28. Sep 2009, 11:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all - since being diagnosed I've read a lot about having flare ups. I'm at the stage where they are working out what meds are going to work for me - nearly at the 3 month full dose stage on sulfaz. They gave me a one off steroid injection at my initial appt to help ease the pain. Over the last 3 weeks I've started waking up in the night again as I've ceased up, pain in my shoulders, muscles in my arms, wrists, fingers are all stiff again, specially my forefingers, middle fingers and little finger on my right hand for some reason!! Hips ache on and off through the day, elbows cease up when I'm driving....etc. I figure that its because the steroid injection has worn off - or is it a flare up? Or is it just my condition generally? I figure a flare up is when its noticably worse than normal? I wasn't sure whether to call the rheum nurse or just put up with it. Not due for another appt until Jan. Would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've had several steriod injections in the last 2 years.......and after 4-5 weeks the aches and pains start to come back.
    What you describe seem very similar to my experiences as the steriods wear off.
    We all react differently to meds, so its very difficult to get you a definative answer.
    Well thats my 2 pennyworth.........

Rob x
    Roba045.gif
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    Hi tiny, Diagnosed in March, I am on Methotrexate, recently increased to 20mg. I think, like you say, a 'flare' is when your symptons get worse and the inflammation in your body rises. I'm assuming until the meds get the disease under control that we are in a 'flare'?

I get all the aches and pain you describe, thankfully not all at the same time! And my left wrist has been swollen for ages, some days it hurst worse than others, other swellings come and go but this one is a determined little beggar!

Do you have to go for regular blood tests where you can also ask to speak to a rheumy nurse? I think at my hospital you could pop in and speak to them if ever you are worried or have questions.

Jackie x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    when having what i call a flair up my joints that r affected become hot and pain full i also start to feel very exhausted a few days before as if body attacking its self. this might not be the same for others .but is what happens to me hope they get your meds sorted soon
    val
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I'm sorry that the aches and pains have started again. I hope they soon gets your meds sorted out for you, so you can start to feel better. Waking up at night with pain is so horrible and tireing. I have OA in my spine and neck and hands etc. and used to wake up at night when I moved. I don't know if you already take anything but my GP gave me amatriptyline, which helps a lot, it made me feel too sleepy the next day, but as my GP had warned me, I kept up taking them and with in a week or so I had got used to it and it no longer effects me like that. I wonder if something like that would help you? It may be something you could take over with your GP or rheummy. Just an idea, I hope you feel better soon.
    Love Sue
  • madness1985
    madness1985 Member Posts: 293
    Options
    sounds very much like a flare up. Im currently going through one as well, i ach from my neck to feet im like a little ovan and am swollen too. The best thing todo is listen to your body sleep, take tabs thats what i do .. it normally wares off if you listen to your body x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Tiny,

As others have said it does sound like its not under control as yet. I hope they do work out your meds soon. Mine is also out of control, the sulfa just isn't doing much but its centralised in my wrists and ankles, though its also making a bit of headway in my neck but has to fight the oa thats already there. I also find I am so worn out, I fall asleep more than I ever knew I could and well I am hoping they will sort out my meds as well. Its not nice for sure and I hope yours is soon under control....... Mine too..... hopefully in a week I will get either a change of modifiers or an add in. Take care Cris
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    We all seem to be suffering at the moment do you think the NHS will send us to a warmer climate? Because when im abroad my aches & pains lessen
  • barbara01
    barbara01 Member Posts: 85
    Options
    Hi tiny
    I have ra had pain every where so at last appt had steroid injection and put on mtx that was 5 weeks ago am still pain free from steroid but I know from past experience it wears off after about 6 weeks have just taken 3rd dose of mtx . If your med hasn't worked after 12weeks I don't think it will if you are on max dose. At my hosp we have a phone no for rheumy nurse and can phone during certain times to speak to her, otherwise call your rheumys secretary tell her you are in terrible pain and would like to bring your appt forward, or your gp can ask for appt to be sooner. I am suprised that after putting you on new meds you should of had an apt after 6 weeks or so which is what my rheumy does . Good luck but don't just put up with the pain push for an appt.

Love barbara xx
  • tinyzab
    tinyzab Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses - think I'll go and phone the rheum nurse now. Hugs to all.