which is right?

Options
rachael86
rachael86 Member Posts: 7
edited 29. Sep 2009, 05:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
i have been using wrap around closed patella knee supports for years now, which sometimes work and sometimes don't. i have recently been told to try either an open patella one or a knee sleeve. i have tried to research which is the best reccommended of all three for rheumatoid arthritis but can't seem to find anything useful. can anyone help to reccommend one or explain what each one is more useful for?

thank you.

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Rachael

I have tried several different knee supports, and I don't think there is a great deal to choose between them. It is mainly which one you feel gives you the best support and feels most comfortable. I was given one with a hinge by the hospital, and that gives me the best support, but it is quite bulky, and it makes me too hot in the summer. I have a lighter weight sleeve type which is less bulky. I have been told not to wear a knee support every day because it can weaken your muscles. They get to rely on the support, and that can make matters worse. I only wear mine if I know that I am going to be walking about a lot eg. shopping.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Rach I have OA of both knee caps and have tried various supports and none did me any good in fact a lot of them made things worse, these days I just use elasticised bandages not so much for support but to keep me knees nice and warm. :P