Methotrexate and painkillers

Options
barbara01
barbara01 Member Posts: 85
edited 28. Sep 2009, 11:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I have recently started Methotrexate (2 weeks ago)and up til now have not taken any additional painkillers as I had a steroid injection, however as the steroid wears off and the pain comes back can any one tell me if I can take MTX with Ibuprofen or diclofenic, any experiences/advice would be welcome. Am dreading being in pain again and just want to be prepared.

Love Barbara xx

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Barbara
    as far as I am aware people have to take either with the mtx. I would just have aquick word with pharmacist/Gp you might need more than jut anti-inflams anyway and then you can get it on your repaet prescription can't yo?
    Take care
    Toni x
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi Barbara

I'm on mtx and leflunomide and I still take my Naproxen twice daily and paracetamol as and when I require it, I think the doctors hope that eventually you can reduce the anti inflam but I've not been lucky enough to yet.

Hope everything goes well

debs
  • joyous
    joyous Member Posts: 179
    Options
    hi im on mthx as well as anti tnf 's i take pain killers ordinary ones in day stronger at night they help me to sleep , am on anti inflamitries as welll sem 's to be ok for me ask first all the best joy . :)
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    HI,
    I take MTX and also take Ibuprofen regularly and co=codamol when I need to (which is a lot right now!)

do check with your GP or pharmacist to be sure for you.

MTX isn't to deal with the pain, but to stop the joint damage that can occur when the disease is active. As mine is rarely inactive I take the anti-inflams regularly too, and to dare have had no problems since going onto Ibuprofen. There are plenty to choose from if one should upset you in any way.

look after yourself!