Visit to see another GP in the Practice

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 28. Sep 2009, 13:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,
I've been to the doctor this morning as I have been worrying about things and haven't had any real diagnosis from anyone.
My GP is away for a month, so I had to see another person, I know him from work, which made me feel a bit reluctant to see him, but it turned out to be a very useful visit. I explained about the tingling and pain I get very briefly in my left hand. He looked up all my old notes on the computer and found the information from the MRI. Most of the neck showed good results and he explained to me what that was, basiclly the disks are still in the correct places and are nicely spaced, with very little degeneration except that one had an osteophate growing in the canal that carries the blood to the brain and this has caused the space to be reduced and the osteophate to touch the nerve which caused the pain. Because it is functioning well, and the position is deep into the neck at C2 and C3 it would be hard and risky to operate with the chances of it not making much difference to the pain levels. ( I hope I've explained this properly, its hard for me to repeat! ) He was very nice and said that I was right to go back and ask what the problem was. That he believes its our bodies and all a doctor does is try to keep them working properly. He said a patient who understands the problems is more likely to do better than one who is not told all the facts. I said although when a Doc says alls fine, but dosn't explain, it leaves you wondering just what is going on and he agreed. He said sometimes a doc is not able to find out what the problem is and then he has to tell the paitent the truch, that nothing has so far turned up, which is frustrating for the doc and the patient. Seeing him and discussing things with a different doc, even though its the same practice has been really positive for me. It was great being treated as an equal and having the thing explained properly. I'd encourage anyone to get a fresh opinion if they feel stuck, with no proper diagnosis to get a fresh doc to look at the situation. I do like my own GP, but I think we had both got stuck about the condition and we needed a change.
Love Sue

Comments

• kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    HI Sue

Glad to hear the appointment went especially well for you
    today, at least you got some in depth answers, explained
    to you really well by this new GP. I think some new ideas
    are pretty useful as sometimes you feel like part of the
    fixtures and fittings at some medic appointments.

Hope that your hand pain is not playing up too much.

Love Kath
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hi Sue
    That sounds really positive - even if there is no real solution at least you understand what is going on now.

Well done for being brave and seeing him.
    Probably you ex-work relationship worked in your favour this time :)
    Take care
    Toni x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi Thanks for the replies. I think that it did help, also I think a fresh insite is good. When someone, too thinks that its important for you to understand whats going on with your body and takes the time with over explaining things, it made me feel as if I had some control over whats going on. He also has a good sense of humour! :lol:
    Love Sue