hospital problem

Options
jovigirl
jovigirl Member Posts: 8
edited 29. Sep 2009, 17:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am going in on 22nd Oct for a hysterectomy and am worried about how lying in the same position for long will affect my arthritis, I've got it in most joints, I know my back will be throbbing and would like to keep as mobile as possible but wont be able to get out of bed for a day or so.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 28. Sep 2009, 11:02
    Options
    Hi jovigirl

I had a hysterectomy 9 years ago due to fibroids and very heavy periods and as I remember for the first couple of days I was drugged up on morphine so felt quite comfortable. You will be able to change positions in the bed and if you have any difficulty perhaps speak with the nurses there.

I wish you well and a speedy recovery.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm assuming this will be very similar to a section. You will get plenty drugs, I had my arthur during both my sections and didn't realise, was just focused on the pain from incision. They are usually quick to get you up and going, probably the next day. The drugs are actually really good, you probably won't realise your arthur, just be preoccupied about where the wound is.
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    edited 29. Sep 2009, 06:19
    Options
    HI

My hysterectomy was 11 yrs ago and they get you up
    in no time so wouldnt expect it to be a big problem, hope
    all goes well for you, make sure you do what they
    recommend when they discharge you and all should
    be fine.

Kath x
  • jovigirl
    jovigirl Member Posts: 8
    Options
    thankyou for your advice I am hoping to be home after 3 or 4 days but as you say the pain relief should help with the pain from my OA, I'm just a pain with doing as I'm told with regards rest, so am going prepared with loads of books ipod and anything else to occupy my mind :)
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    jovigirl wrote:
    thankyou for your advice I am hoping to be home after 3 or 4 days but as you say the pain relief should help with the pain from my OA, I'm just a pain with doing as I'm told with regards rest, so am going prepared with loads of books ipod and anything else to occupy my mind :)

Put some drinking straws in your bag if you have them, sometimes the wards don't have them and you'll be too sore to sit right up at first to have a drink.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I had a hystorectomy over 20 years ago! :oops: I was only 30, honest! :oops: The thing I remember is being taken out of bed and encouraged to walk round the ward! I had such strong pain relief before this that I've no real memory of it! I'm sure you'll be fine they give you morphine pumps these days and they are great. The last op I had, my husband said I sat up in bed with my finger on the pump and a big smile on my face!!! :mrgreen: Love Sue