physical withdrawals with tramadol?

Options
takeawalk56
takeawalk56 Member Posts: 2
edited 29. Sep 2009, 17:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
I’ve had fibromyalgia for a few years now and been using tramadol as my pain reliever. If for example, I switch to another pain relief med, should I be worried of physical withdrawals? DO you know of any case where a tramadol user experienced withdrawals? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I’ve had fibromyalgia for a few years now and been using tramadol as my pain reliever. If for example, I switch to another pain relief med, should I be worried of physical withdrawals? DO you know of any case where a tramadol user experienced withdrawals? Thanks for the help.

Hi there, I take this and been advised not to stop it suddenly. I believe it is chemically similar to anti-depressants in some ways and they advise you to stagger the stopping of those. I would defo speak to your Dr or even try googling Tramadol withdrawal to see what comes up.

Hope someone can come along with more info for you.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I take tramadol too, but not for very long. I think it does need to be stopped carefully and with a doctor helping you to reduce, but I don't think its as bad as some of the drugs about.
    Love Sue
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    Hi,

I was told by the doc that these would be a controlled stop, so worth a visit to your gp.

Anne
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Takeawalk,

Welcome to the forum and I hope you find it useful. I am not sure I can hep you really, I do take tramadol but only as and when I need it. I sometimes take 8 a day and other times none for weeks, they are for back up for the other pain relief I have. I think it is known to have side effects but it must be like everything (and they all have side effects) and varrie from person to person. Maybe talk to your gp about it is the best advise I can think of. Take care Cris
  • tymwilltell36
    tymwilltell36 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with the others. Do talk to your doctor about it. Stopping tramadol cold turkey (or any drug for that matter) may cause possible withdrawal symptoms. So usually a gradual decrease of the dosage is done to avoid the problem. You take care!
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    I did a controlled withdrawl myself as I did'nt want to have to see the Dr. I was taking 200 slow releaseXtwice a day.
    I was lucky enough to have 100 slow release tablets too. I changed from 400 to 200 for about 2days then 100 for 3 days or so then stopped. I would'nt advise anyone else to do it themselves. The pain got much worse than normal.
    I did experience tummy cramps, not quite running to toilet but going at least a couple of times a day. I became quite tearfull and a bit anxious too. Sleep pattern is'nt great at the best of times but it got worse. All these things settled down again within about a week or so except for the pain. I went back on them again.
  • eastmidlandsman52
    eastmidlandsman52 Member Posts: 27
    Options

Hello.

I've still got fibromyalgia and it competes for attention with my 'arfur' which is a dual pain in one body. A supermarket would see it as a 'BOGOF' kind of thing.

Having been on Trams some time back, it is best you see your GP with a view to a timed withdrawal of the drug.Over a few weeks,it is possible to stop without incurring the dread of side-effects.During this same period,its also possible to start a new form of pain relief which starts in a small dose and increases slowly as the other decreases.

If you want to know what the side-effects of Tramadol are, make sure you go to a UK based website such as NHS Direct as the source of reference. There are too many websites about Trams which would make your hair curl should you find them!

I hope all will be well with the crossover treatments though.

All the best.
  • psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    Options
    Hi - dont stop taking tramadol straight away - I did and had terrible withdraw symptoms. you need to talk to your doctor. they are a form of morphine based pain killers, so you need to come off slowly if possible.

can you talk to your doctor or nurse??

keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Louise
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I agree with Elna, I havn't been taking tamadol long and find it very good in its slow release form. The doc said that having it slow release has the benifit of having the same highs and lows as the ordinary type, but the biggest benifit means that I have an even dose of pain killer. Some of the sites make withdrawal effects sound awful. Also you must remember if you are not taking painkillers any pain they have been releiving will come back and will probably seem worse as you remember! :shock: If you worry you'll be anxious than worrying about the anxiety will make you anxious. and so on! Love Sue
    PS any prescription drug stoped should be done with the help and knowledge of your doctor. :)