can anyone help me with this question please?

Options
nick55
nick55 Member Posts: 119
edited 29. Sep 2009, 04:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
I still have the habit of doing too much, I managed to cut both lawns yesterday, but my leg burned a great deal last night in bed, I still did too much. now it is like walking on broken glass, or an open wound, the thought has come to me, is to possible with osteo, to reach a point of no return, with our joints when they habitually remain bad and sore and refuse to get better? I hope not, but do wonder. short of crawling on hands and knees, it is a problem knowing what to do, save rest,

many thanks,

nick

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    In my opinion and a word, yes. Osteo is wear and tear. Your body is telling you something. You can rest but too much rest is not good either. It can become a vicious circle. Dare I say the word "operation" as I remember from past threads of yours, you are very anti this. I believe in the end if we wish to have a life worth living that is the only option left.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I am sure that it is possible to damage the joints so badly that they don't get better. Wear and tear, degenartive arthritis, thats what I've got. The cartlilage between the bones on the and of the joints is wearing out, not a nice thought, but that is the reality of what is happening and when that cartalige is gone the bone grinds on bone and becomes stiff and hard to move. If we treat it with respect, not do too much, but do something do the exercises that help the muscles build up to take some of the strain, it helps us keep going with as little pain as possible.

Last year I managed to get my joints, the hip and back, fairley painless by doing the exercises and not doing too much but walking every day, resting as soon as I thought I should and I was feeling very fit. The doctors allowed me to go back to my job as a care assistant with heavy work. I thought I could do anything, I was better. After a few months back at work I started to get some pain so I cut my hours slightly, still I had pain and it was getting worse. My GP signed me off again, and I had no choice but to give up. Operations arn't things anyone would choose to have for fun, but if you can have surgery and keep going a bit longer, it would be my option. We all have to make up our own minds though and if you really feel its wrong for you, I respect that decision. Love Sue
  • nick55
    Options
    I suppose the answer is logical really. I am not anxious at all about surgery and so am trying to manage as best I can so far it has been a success but success breeds brashness and this is why we overdo things. so, having gotten the house in some order, i am forcing myself to rest. for a few days. last time I got myself right in the end but it was a forced period of rest. very hard to do when you are restles!!
    it was better yesterday until i did too much around the garden but the jobs had to be done. now, I suppose a few lazy days. I take your points very seriously, though,

best wishes as ever
    Nick

woodbon wrote:
    Hello, I am sure that it is possible to damage the joints so badly that they don't get better. Wear and tear, degenartive arthritis, thats what I've got. The cartlilage between the bones on the and of the joints is wearing out, not a nice thought, but that is the reality of what is happening and when that cartalige is gone the bone grinds on bone and becomes stiff and hard to move. If we treat it with respect, not do too much, but do something do the exercises that help the muscles build up to take some of the strain, it helps us keep going with as little pain as possible.

Last year I managed to get my joints, the hip and back, fairley painless by doing the exercises and not doing too much but walking every day, resting as soon as I thought I should and I was feeling very fit. The doctors allowed me to go back to my job as a care assistant with heavy work. I thought I could do anything, I was better. After a few months back at work I started to get some pain so I cut my hours slightly, still I had pain and it was getting worse. My GP signed me off again, and I had no choice but to give up. Operations arn't things anyone would choose to have for fun, but if you can have surgery and keep going a bit longer, it would be my option. We all have to make up our own minds though and if you really feel its wrong for you, I respect that decision. Love Sue
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    nick55 wrote:
    I still have the habit of doing too much, I managed to cut both lawns yesterday, but my leg burned a great deal last night in bed, I still did too much. now it is like walking on broken glass, or an open wound, the thought has come to me, is to possible with osteo, to reach a point of no return, with our joints when they habitually remain bad and sore and refuse to get better? I hope not, but do wonder. short of crawling on hands and knees, it is a problem knowing what to do, save rest,

many thanks,

nick
    Sorry to intrude nick, but thank you for this question and the opinions/advice above. I am also finding what I call my recovery times are getting longer and longer, and have found it helpfull to see the replies to your question. I can sympathise with the crawling on hands and knees!
    take care
    Chris
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello Nick, Sorry re-reading what I wrote, I didn't mean to imply that you are anxious about surgery, although, I admit to being a bit wimpish myself, but thats me! Its just that some people prefer the natural course of an illness whilst others, me as well, even though I hate it, want to have surgery at an earlier stage. I think we are all different and what works for one dosn't for another.

Today I discussed my pains and worrying symptoms with a doctor who is into holistic medicine, hes and ordinary GP and treats people conventionally but, we had a long talk and he explained what the scans and x-rays ment, what to worry about and what is really very good. No medication changes or referrals just time and discussion. I felt the heck of a lot better after that! I'm not saying this very well, but I mean to say, their are other things than meds and treatments that help and we really need a good mix of both. :shock: :wink::D I hope thats readable!!! Sorry, I'm going on a bit. Good night!
  • nick55
    Options
    I find being closed in with a lot of people extremely stressful far worse than the illness itself. that is me.
    I spend most of my days alone which I am content about, so for me hospital is something to be forced on you. it is not an option for me.
    this is why I seek to manage osteo as best I can. i may try a walk later, finding often small amounts of exercise do far more than long long rests. thankfully most of the big garden jobs are done and what remains can be done in small doses so to speak.
    I am doing a lot more oil painting and had wanted to go deep into the hills around capel curig, on a long walk, later October. i am hoping to be able to do this to get some photos for my art work. but... we will see.
    your replies are most helpful, watch out for the smile as it may be a grimace!!!! joking of course, always room for a laugh at things,

Nick

woodbon wrote:
    Hello Nick, Sorry re-reading what I wrote, I didn't mean to imply that you are anxious about surgery, although, I admit to being a bit wimpish myself, but thats me! Its just that some people prefer the natural course of an illness whilst others, me as well, even though I hate it, want to have surgery at an earlier stage. I think we are all different and what works for one dosn't for another.

Today I discussed my pains and worrying symptoms with a doctor who is into holistic medicine, hes and ordinary GP and treats people conventionally but, we had a long talk and he explained what the scans and x-rays ment, what to worry about and what is really very good. No medication changes or referrals just time and discussion. I felt the heck of a lot better after that! I'm not saying this very well, but I mean to say, their are other things than meds and treatments that help and we really need a good mix of both. :shock: :wink::D I hope thats readable!!! Sorry, I'm going on a bit. Good night!
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Hi Nick I’m in the same boat as you this morning, the weekend was good, I even managed to go sea fishing!!, ok the walk to and from and getting on and off the boat hurt but I did it!, OK so I had to sit down most of the time but I’m still amazed I pulled it off!!.
    So with the wind in my metaphorical sails on Sunday I decided to finish off my CB aerial installation, still not to much pain wow boy am I on a role now!!!.
    So now we get to Monday and still feel goodish so I walked the dogs with the war office and our nipper, but then by 8pm my knees felt as if they were on fire, got no real sleep last night and this morning my right knee is blowing up a real storm I’ve already taken two 100mg slow release Tramadol and it’s still feels like my right knee cap is being levered off with a screw driver, so now I’m starting to think I’ve done it again, when it’s good I seem to instantly forget how bad it can be I feel fairly normal so revert back to my old mobile self and then BAM! Here we go again, to steal a phrase from Arnold Schwarzenegger “I’ll be back”, and low and behold here's Arthur!.
    :(