Enbrel

Options
kneedown
kneedown Member Posts: 21
edited 5. Oct 2009, 07:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Who is on enbrel?? and have you had any side effects?

Comments

• janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Waiting to go on it, anytime within the next month. Side effects yes there are some, i.e. irritation of the injection site (mild), there are major ones too which are minimal stroke, blood disorders, lupus syndrome but I am so bad that I have to weigh up pros and cons and the benefits potentially far outweigh cons.

Janie :)
  • gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    Options
    Hi there,

Yes I am on Enbrel and have been since January.

I have AS and although it hasn't cured me it has made a difference.

Once upon a time I literally couldn't move and now although I have crazy pain and stiffness I can get around and have my life back.
    As you know there are side effects but for me it was worth the risk by far.

The only side effects that have bothered me have been infections and weirdly sometimes all my old injection sites become inflammed all at once.

If you want to ask any questions in specific you know where I am! This site has been a great support, you may find the same. Good luck! :D

A x
  • kneedown
    Options
    I have been on it for about 7-8 years and havnt really noticed any side effects but its prob 1 of the better meds out there if u dont mind needles
  • gickygawky
    Options
    Haha!
    Yeah the needles, damn things!! Not my favourite thing to do but it's a small thing in the scheme of things isn't it!
    Being on Enbrel for so long is it still as effective now as it was? Do you take other meds as well to get the job done or has it always worked for you?

A x
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Yes would like to know more too please!!

How long does it take to work?

does it last until the next injection?

Thanks

Janie
  • kneedown
    Options
    its still as good as ever and each jag lasts upto 2-3 weeks id say, i only take muscle relxants when I need them I dont like taking painkillers they dont sit well in my stomach mostly coz of the meds I got when I was younger
  • gickygawky
    Options
    That's great to hear. I am currently on two inj's a week. Is this how you started taking it? And did you reduce it over time?
  • kneedown
    Options
    I was on two a week then I was changed to 1 jag but the same dose
  • mike77
    mike77 Member Posts: 879
    Options
    :D:D:D:D:D Hi kneedown,

My Brother has just started this week with the Enbrel , its to stop the Anyling spondelitis from spreading anymore . I rang him last night and he said its just like a pen the injections are easy . he will not know if it is working for 4 weeks.

Mike R & Hazel & Mike JR
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • kneedown
    Options
    Thats the other make, the one I get is still in jag form, I had heard that some other manufacturer had made it into a pen the same as the diabetes pen. I used to get it when it all was seperate the needle, syringe, and the Enbrel and water, to mix myself b4 the days of the ready made injection.
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    kneedown wrote:
    Who is on enbrel?? and have you had any side effects?

Been on Enbrel for a couple of years now and it has changed my life. I have been able to get back to work part time and feel able to cope with things so much better. I still have pain and some days are better than others but it's nothing to how I was a few years ago when I found it hard to look after myself let alone my family and hold down a job!
    Only side effects I get and it isn't every time inject is some irritation around the injection site. I'm not that keen on injecting but its a small price to pay. Good luck and I hope you get some relief from it.
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    Options
    I'm just waiting for my delivery of Enbrel pens, I have been on Humira for over a year but have had some nasty side effects, the cellulitis and swollen ankles and feet have been a nightmare, and although the med made it easier for me to get out of bed, it made me get back in for most of the day as I had to keep my legs up high, I also had a really nasty fungal foot infection at one time, so heres hoping the Enbrel suits me better. Cheers for the info x