Sulphasaline????

Options
bailey27
bailey27 Member Posts: 689
edited 29. Sep 2009, 08:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
Had my rheumy appointment yesterday and on just my 3rd visit have had a formal diagnosis. The last appoitnment I had I came out in tears as thye said they couldnt be sure it was arthritis, then my GP said it was...and it went on and on. I have been told I have a sero negative arthritis, actually 'sero negative spondyloarthritis.'
(Trying saying that fast!!!) lol
I have been prescribed Slphasaline (please excuse spelling) which I am waiitng ot take as I have to wait for a letter for me to start so they can scehdule me in for regular blood tests.
I am actually quite exited about starting this, hopefuly it will work. The prednisalone has been a god send but for obvious reasons cant stay on this long term.
Anyone on this drug? good? Bad???

Comments

• scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Side-effects wise, the only one I experienced was that it turned my pee bright yellow. Otherwise it didn't do a lot for me. I have severe RA though, and the sulph. on it's own just wasn't strong enough.

I hope it helps. It may take about 3-6 months for you to see any improvement.
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Hi Bailey

Glad to hear you got a diagnosis.

I was put on Sulphasalazine as the first line drug
    when I was dx'd with Sero Positive Rheumatoid Arthritis 11yrs ago.

Sadly it didnt work for me and I went on to have other
    drugs and have been on MTX and Leflunomide for around
    9 yrs now.

But I know of Sulpha helping many folks, so fingers crossed
    it could be the one for you.

I also took steroids over a period of years but happy to say
    I dont need them now.

Hope you have a reasonably good day today.

Kath
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Hi, I am glad you have your diagnosis now, at least you know what you are dealing with. I hope the sulpha works for you.

Take care

Deb
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Bailey,

Well I am glad they have got the diagnosis sorted for you. I have been on the sulfa a while now and yep it does turn your pee very yellow and for me it made me feel slightly sick for a few days and I do have a dry mouth. But over all the side effects I have had re no real problem. Hope it works for you, Take care Cris
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    HiBailey
    Sulfasalazine worked brilliantly for me for about 3 months but then the effects wore off and I still take them but now with additional medicine.Eventually you will find the right mix and amount required to keep your pain at bay.Just gotta take a small step at a time.
    They dont give me any side effects(apart from the yellow wee of course)!

Take care Tkachev
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Hope fully they'll work for me then. I suppose it has to be wortha try. They not taking me off the rpednisalone straight away either, I'll be taking them witht he suplhasaline.
    Fingers crossed then! :)