chronic fatigue and medication query

ruthross
ruthross Member Posts: 33
edited 30. Sep 2009, 10:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
I have palindromic rheumatism and recently started on a new drug regime. I started taking Sulfasalazine about six or seven weeks ago. For most of that time i've been totally and utterly exhausted. everything seems like an effort. I often have a very low-level headache that doesn't seem to shift and feel, for most of the day, as if I've been woken up reluctantly from an afternoon nap. Nothing is showing up in my blood tests as abnormal but i've decided to stop taking the drugs anyway to see if my energy levels improve. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience?
If so, did your body adjust to the drugs eventually?

Comments

• kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    HI

Sorry to hear you arent too well.

I dont know anything about palindromic rheumatism but if it is similar to rheumatoid arthritis, then the exhaustion will be your illness possibly especially if you are experiencing flare ups and have inflammation problems.

I was given Sulphazalazine years ago but for me it didnt work and I was given alternative drugs which I am still taking, I have RA and OA. But I did not experience any side effects.
    Maybe the headaches could have been down to the sulpha but bear in mind that any of the arthur drugs do take a while to kick in.

Hope you feel much better soon and perhaps get some
    answers from the docs.

Kath
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Ruth,

I also am sorry to read your not feeling too good as well. I think the sulfa can give you a bit of head ache problems but after 6-7 weeks it should have sorted out so maybe you could talk to either your Rumo nurse or the gp about them?

I also am on sulfa but so far for me it doesn't seem to have done much. I see the Rumo next week and am thinking a change or an add in for me but i do know a few people who have found the sulfa very good so fingers crossed you will be one of them.

Ah the tiredness....... It seem relentless but as I understand it as it is got under control them you feel less tired. I am self emoployed and don't rest enough and will often feel very sick as well. the its like a light going out and I wake up some hours later. I think its only till its all better controlled and well good luck and let us know how you gets on. Cris x
  • ruthross
    ruthross Member Posts: 33
    thanks for your responses. It's much appreciated. I have discussed it with my GP and I'm definitely coming off the drugs for a month to see if my energy levels get any better. It's possible that it could be my RA but in the five years since I've had it, I've never had such low energy for such a prolonged period of time, so if it is down to my illness, then this is definitely a new development. Here's hoping it's the drugs cos if it is, my energy levels might get back to 'normal' sometime soon.

cheers again for your input.

Ruth