Can a GP alter/stop your medication without your agreement

Options
wookster
wookster Member Posts: 12
edited 30. Sep 2009, 06:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,

I moved house a couple of months ago and have just had my first telephone conversation with my potential new GP.

Prickly is an expression I've seen used on this forum and it suits him perfectly. Will sort this out face to face next week when I have my first appointment.

Anyway I was diagnosed with Arthritis in my left hand just before my move, and the combination of 50mg Diclofenac * 3 and 30mg codeine * 4 is not allowing me to be relatively pain free and active at the same time. This is why I rang the doctor.

He is very anti codeine and wanted to stop it being prescribed, and wanted to prescribe ibuprofen instead of diclofenac.

I also take codeine and loperamide for IBS, and together they work pretty well. If he stops the codeine then I could go back to where I was 3 years ago, or I might be ok I don't know.

On the plus side he has talked about a pain mangement plan, which is new to me, so he may have some good ideas worth listening to.

Before I go and see him next week I'd like to know more about the alternatives if any so that I can discuss options rather than being given a solution.

Cheers

Wookster

Comments

• bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    Ihave heard on the news recently about the negative effects of codeine. However, you need a plan that suits you.
    I get very bad stomach problems and was told I had IBS anythign can trigger a swollen stomach diarrhoea etc... however, when Istarted the new medication the pain was unbearable and I actually had got a stomach ucer. your IBS may make you prone to a stomach ulcer so like I did maybe you could ask the GP for some Omeprazole. This has worked a treat for me. They are stomach protection tablets.
    P.S> I got my formal diagnosis yesterday from my Rheumatologist and when I googled the name (spondyloarthritis) it cameup that people with this typeof arthritis tend to have the symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease and crohns disease without actually having it, if that makes sense. I am going to run this by my GP the next time I go.
    Maybe you have something similar??
    Definately ask for the Omeprazole, it is a god send for me.
  • wookster
    Options
    Hi, Thanks for your reply, I haven't seen anything about the negative effects of codeine although I have heard of it and had hassle from the new GP.

I don't suffer from stomach problems with diclofenac although I get really bad stomach pain with large doses of ibuprofen.

I don't see the logic of changing the medication and taking another drug to counteract the effects of the new one, unless its much better than the old one.
    My new Gp did say that ibuprofen was cheaper but that alone can't be a reason.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Diclofinac caused me to have a perforated ulcer, but that was years ago, but it means I can't have anti infammatories. Ibroprophine is gentler on the tummy. Codine can be addictive and cause constipation. I've had it in the past and it worked quite well.
    The other question you asked about prescribing, is I think up to the doctor. They can stop if they think a drug is doing you harm. If you discuss things with the new doc, you may find that he offers you something better. Go with an open mind, if you don't like him, don't stay with him if you have a choice and most people do. Hope all goes well, love Sue
  • wookster
    Options
    Hi Sue,

Definitely going with an open mind, the medication I'm on isn't working so I thought I had nothing to lose.

If the GP can help then I can live with the Pricklyness, I've been lucky I guess in that I've never had a problem before.

On the medication side there doesn't seem to be many options, its either NSAIDS or codeine and other opiates.

Do you have any experience with other treatments.

Cheers

Andy
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Andy,

I think the simple answer to your question is yes they can I am afraid.

If its not working too well maybe a change will suit you better. Pain management is a very good idea and that's a good move by the gp. There are so many combinations and well I really hope he can get your meds right for you.

One thing though, diclo's never up set me for 4 years but then I got the ulcer so if you do stay on them then you must get some protectors. they are anti inflammatory and in my case work well. I have the slow release and find them much better. For the actual pain relief I take pregabalin and tramadol.

Good luck and it will sort out for you just its all trial and error to begin with. take care Cris.
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Hi
    I agree with Skezier. Regardless of what drugs you are on you should take a stomach protector especially with IBS as from what I understand IBS causes you to pass out the healthy bascteria when you get the IBS symptoms. I am taking prednisalone, celebrex and omeprazole. I find the omeprazole stops me being constipated and reduces my bloatedness. I will also be staying on them when I start the Sulphasaline.
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Andy,
    I think the simple answer to your question is yes they can I am afraid.
    If its not working too well maybe a change will suit you better. Pain management is a very good idea and that's a good move by the gp. There are so many combinations and well I really hope he can get your meds right for you.
    One thing though, diclo's never up set me for 4 years but then I got the ulcer so if you do stay on them then you must get some protectors. they are anti inflammatory and in my case work well. I have the slow release and find them much better. For the actual pain relief I take pregabalin and tramadol.
    Good luck and it will sort out for you just its all trial and error to begin with. take care Cris.

Hi
    I am butting in here but I am on the same meds as Cris and I'm glad to be off the codiene. Have had Omaprozole for years and are necessary. And I also repeat, go with an open mind and look forward
    joy
  • wookster
    Options
    Hi,

Could you post details of what level of codeine you were on, if you were glad to be off it there is a reason.

I appreciate this could be difficult and can post an email address if more comfortable. If there are problems with codeine long term then I'd really appreciate any info you may have.

Cheers

Andy
  • woodbon
    Options
    HI Andy, I take tramadol slow release, which is a synthetic opiate, its a strong drug, but helps me as I have back, neck and hand problems. Before this I took paracetamol or paracetamol and codine. It makes life quite difficult at times, but I don't fancy another month in hospital! The over-the-counter co-codomol are not as strong as some of the prescribed drugs, but whatever you take has problems. Just do the best I can! Sue
  • wookster
    Options
    Hi Sue,

I'm just reading about tramadol on this website http://www.mhra.gov.uk.

There's a lot of information there which might be of interest to others, and you can research any drug once you know the name.

Thanks

Andy
  • woodbon
    Options
    Thats OK, I hope you soon get sorted Andy. I was given a cream for my hands from one gP at our practice and then saw my own GP, who said it has asprin in it and even put on the skin, it can have an effect. A bit over-the-top, I think! :lol: Hope you get sorted, Sue