Lumps on my fingers?

Options
tinyzab
tinyzab Member Posts: 22
edited 30. Sep 2009, 12:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey all - had a question for those of you who have been dealing with RA for a while now. I have lumps on the knuckles of my forefingers and middle fingers on both hands. I understand that its the joint lining in its inflammed state. X-rays have shown that the bones are ok which is good. What I was wondering is whether people have found these lumps to go down once medication starts working? I've been on full does sulfas for 3 months now, and they don't seem to be going down. I have to admit its one part of the condition that really really bothers me. What are your experiences?

Comments

• bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I get lumps that come up and down on fingers and toes. They are purple colour. My GP says it is Raynauds which is common amounst people with arthritis.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Tiny,

I have lumps on my knuckles and fingers, mine are permanent and have had them for years - sorry :(

Luv Legs :|
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I have oa and I have the lumps on my fingers, sometimes they get red, painful and swollen but then after a few days go down. My finger are always stiff and painful in the mornings until they get goint. Love Sue :wink:
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Woodbon - is your Raynauds??? Sounds very much how like mine get.
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I have Psoriatic arthritis and I have big red lumps on both fingers and toes.
    I think the white lumps are there to stay. Some days they seem bigger and then on a good day they go down.
    I think they are there to stay. When I go to my Occupational Therapist, she measures them each time.

joy
  • madness1985
    madness1985 Member Posts: 293
    Options
    Hello,

I have RA and i first got these lumps in Oct last year and i didnt no wat was wrong with me (que pestering gp). The lumps on my fingers have ever gone my ring finger on right hand side luks deformed because of the lumps and i hate it espically now being engaged .. oh well just one of those things x
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    Hi, My sister has OA and has had these lumps on her fingers for a few years, plus mis-shaped fingers!
    I have some too although I have RA - but my fingers swell from day to day (as do other parts :shock: ).

I don't wear my rings now because of the swelling and a couple of fingers have definitely gone a funny shape, hopefully my meds will stop/slow them from getting worse.

Jackie x
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    Hi
    Lumps on my hands were probably the first symptom I got with RA before I knew I had it. They have stayed with me although they have not increased in size . Actually now I have just had a close look, one of them has actually gone since increasing my mxt! Well I never!! :wink::lol:
    Gillx
  • tamnwill
    tamnwill Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Hi there, I have ganglions on my wrist, thumb and fore finger, I had a steroid jab and they went as did the pain..............it's such a relief whilst it lasts, 3 months now (fingers crossed).........altho' the first time it only lasted one month but i know i went bonkers and did too much around the house as I tried to catch up on 2 years of missed intense housework and gardening!!!!!!............lesson learnt and now heeded. Perhaps you could ask you R nurse to attend yr injection clinic to at least be informed of your possible options? All i can say is it has brought back my smile as I am able to move more.........I still need pain killers but I am able to walk and do regular stuff now :)
    Hope you feel some relief soon
    Tamsin xxxxxx
    Energy is eternal delight.
    William Blake (1757-1827)

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
    Mark Twain
  • bionic
    bionic Member Posts: 75
    Options
    tinyzab wrote:
    Hey all - had a question for those of you who have been dealing with RA for a while now. I have lumps on the knuckles of my forefingers and middle fingers on both hands. I understand that its the joint lining in its inflammed state. X-rays have shown that the bones are ok which is good. What I was wondering is whether people have found these lumps to go down once medication starts working? I've been on full does sulfas for 3 months now, and they don't seem to be going down. I have to admit its one part of the condition that really really bothers me. What are your experiences?
    :) Hi I have lumps too some are called nodules and they are permament and others are inflamation and come and go they are all painful, also my thumb joint clicks out of place and I have to put it back ..ugh !!
    Take care
    Rosie
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hello Rosie :)

How are you feeling in every way, today? I do so hope it is at least a little better than recently.

Lots of love
    Elna x()
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    HI

they are nodules.

I have RA and OA andthe first ones I spotted were 3 nodules
    on the outside of my forearm, but they disappeared
    probably due to the drugs.

Sometimes I get one or two on the top of my foot
    but again, they dont hang around for long.

Hope you are feeling ok today.

Kath