a huge, huge of relief

nick55
nick55 Member Posts: 119
edited 30. Sep 2009, 09:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
after some days and days of really bad joints, and overdoing it, I was beginning to feel it was heading downhill permanently. but I persevered. I took the tablets, rested, and hoped. I had a small walk yesterday, and a longer one today, took a painkiller, tramadol which I swear by, and now I feel almost back to normal. still having to force myself into inactivity. it is such a relief when the aches and pains abate. one really has to use skill in managing osteo and all the rest, and feels much better when the inflammation dies down
my fear is always as one get older will it also become more of a problem. I sincerely believe the answer is to exercise, even if we ache.
and to do what is sensible, not going of on big hikes. the odd one now and then, but I think with this condition one has to find great humility and realize the old days have gone and we must realize our abilities have shrunk a great deal.
the positive to this is our ability ti slow down, take more rests and realize what a lovely world it is out there, and the lovely people we meet day to day. by adopting a slower pace and stopping to look more often is not a bad thing really.

I am looking into the use of vitamins especially vitamin d and d3, and wonder if these are of any help, any ideas anyone?

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi, I'm so glad you're feeling better. I've been thinking about you and wondering how you were doing. They say its all a matter of pacing yourself, but its so easy to go over the top on a good day, still the odd day overdoing things is sometimes worth it! :D

Take care, love Sue
  • nick55
    it almost makes oseto worth while, one almost takes the aches and pains as a badge of honour, but how frustrating it s when we sit waiting for it to ease. but, take life easy, enjoy periods of reflection, enjoy looking at the world, and being thankful for the kindness of others. such as yourself,
    I'm happy with days of pain, the only thing that worries me is it staying that way, knowing how to balance it is a great relief, and knowing by resting it will be fine once again,
    best wishes,

Nick

woodbon wrote:
    Hi, I'm so glad you're feeling better. I've been thinking about you and wondering how you were doing. They say its all a matter of pacing yourself, but its so easy to go over the top on a good day, still the odd day overdoing things is sometimes worth it! :D

Take care, love Sue
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi I know what you mean, when the pain is really bad, its hard to believe it can get better, and all sorts of things go through your mind. Mine is when the neck starts the stabbing, hot pain that goes down into my coller bone and arm. I think that the worst one. I can't turn my head and my arms are weak. My big fear then is I wont be able to drive, as we live about 5 miles from the shops and docs,but it eases of with a day or so resting and thats so good, :wink: I also worry that my back pain will stay and I wont be able to go for long walks, I can't walk to far now, but I keep hoping the physio will come up with exercises that will help and I will be able to go walking in the lake district properly, not too far, but a proper hike. :) One day, may be? :) Sue
  • nick55
    try progressively short then longer walks. it is worrying for those who love the countryside. i made myself go for a walk yesterday, by the banks of the menai. I had to cut it short, but did what was possible then rested all day. after a good sleep, I was determined to capitalize on this and this is what I do now. after a flare up one has to condition the body again. I would love to garden now but must restrain myself. this s what causes the trouble it is lovey outside now, normally I would go over the Dingle or something, not now though stick with my internet and paints.
    I am going out tomorrow, and will take some photos I hope, but these things must be controlled. it s a great good fortune being retired. I met some smashing people today when I did some shopping at Morrison at holyhead, have stopped watching television mainly for now. we live in such a glorious world if we would all behave nicely to each other. even painful arthritis can be tolerated on this basis.
    I do hope you get things sorted out, and get back into walking , but balance it. not easy. I know. I fear getting to a point of no return, so far so good.

best wishes

nick

woodbon wrote:
    Hi I know what you mean, when the pain is really bad, its hard to believe it can get better, and all sorts of things go through your mind. Mine is when the neck starts the stabbing, hot pain that goes down into my coller bone and arm. I think that the worst one. I can't turn my head and my arms are weak. My big fear then is I wont be able to drive, as we live about 5 miles from the shops and docs,but it eases of with a day or so resting and thats so good, :wink: I also worry that my back pain will stay and I wont be able to go for long walks, I can't walk to far now, but I keep hoping the physio will come up with exercises that will help and I will be able to go walking in the lake district properly, not too far, but a proper hike. :) One day, may be? :) Sue