Does this happen to anybody else??

Options
gennyf47
gennyf47 Member Posts: 30
edited 3. Oct 2009, 18:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there
I haven't been online for a while, just getting on with things. I have OA (I think, doctors seem most unhelpful) all over the place, and have noticed this year that if I get an illness eg a cold or stomach bug, all my joints really flare up, and I get so tired I could sleep for England.
Is this quite common?
I am lucky in that I can usually ignore the aches and pains to a certain extent, I just have to pace myself and have accepted I can't do as much as I used to (which is why my garden is such a mess).
I go to work and occ health are ok with me carrying on, thank goodness! I am only 48 and have a mortgage to think of.
I have been advised to lose weight but find this almost impossible to achieve, I just keep losing and gainign the same old half a stone over and over!
Thanks and kind regards to everybody xx
Genny

Comments

• madness1985
    madness1985 Member Posts: 293
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello,

The answer to sleeping for england is simply yes. I myself am going through a flare up and i am absolutly tired to the bone, i am sleeping about 16-18hours a day. If i do the simplest thing e.g have a bath i am having to have a nap after! Although i have RA not OA.

Hope you start to feel better soon

xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi have oa as far as i know waiting for rhummy app. to get it checked to set my mind at rest. feeling so tiered get up eat breakfast then have a nap before going to work at 1. then sit with feet up. if go into town have to rest after nothing simple now. hope u feel better now and things get better for u
    val
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Hi genny
    First of all, I'm like you, can't lose weight. Nibbling is the prob. No will power. And, of course, winter is approaching so we do what all creatures do, eat.
    My joints and muscles get very sore when a virus or bug starts attacking me. At times like that, you really do need to take a sicky if possible. You need to rest and recharge your batteries. You say that you see Occupational Health. Would your work place let you have an Access to Work assessment. Is your workplace comfortable for you? It can be tiring if it isn't. Usually Access to Work will share any cost incurred with your employer. You can get information from your Job Centre or Internet.
    I've started taking Rose Hip Capsules from Holland and Barrett. Also Kelp tablets help. It's a known fact that seaweed used in agriculture helps plants to survive long hot dry periods as well as very cold spells. Worth a try. I have checked and they are ok to take with your present meds.
    Do you keep a diary of your pain so that you can talk it through when you see your Rheumatology Consultant. Make noises if you feel you need more help.
    Hope you feel better soon

joy
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    Hi Genny
    I think when you get any bug it always exacerbates any weakness that you have . In our case joints become more sore etc. I think the extra tiredness is due to all the substances our bodies produce when our immune system is fired up to fight the invading bug. They help fight the bugs but they also effect other parts and generally cause tiredness and sometimes headaches and fevers too.
    Gillx
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi

This tired feeling must be in the air. I've felt zonked all day. Working and coping with arthur can be tough going. Try and fit in times when you can do fit in some rest time. I had to give up my job last May (I miss it) because of OA. Winter months are tougher on us arhtur sufferers. Keep joints warm - I have a few sets of thermals which came in jolly useful last year. My daughter-in-law's grandmother also knitted me a few pairs of pure woollen socks which are fab - your feet never sweat in pure wool.

I haven't had a flare up since June but I think I can feel one coming on.

Mention this to your GP at your next visit.

Regards
    Sharmaine
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Yes, I know that when I get something, I just sleep and sleep and my joints ache, feeling a bit like that at the moment, think I've got a cold coming :( Sorry you havn't been too well. Love Sue
  • gennyf47
    Options
    Hello,

The answer to sleeping for england is simply yes. I myself am going through a flare up and i am absolutly tired to the bone, i am sleeping about 16-18hours a day. If i do the simplest thing e.g have a bath i am having to have a nap after! Although i have RA not OA.

Hope you start to feel better soon

xx

Thanks for all your replies everyone, it's so nice to know other people know what I'm on about, I hate to bore my family and colleagues too much.
    Have got a cold now, so feel quite rough again, but the good thing is, I finally twigged why the last 6 weeks or so have been such a trial.
    I went to New York in August for 10 days, really pushed myself to see everything and it knackered me. Had 2 weeks jet lag when I got home, a wacky period, a family row, a tummy bug and now a cold.
    Plus feel so depressed and tearful with the tiredness and the aches. At least I know now not to be such an idiot, and to treat my body with more respect.
    Didnt really realise how much the holiday had sapped my energy, and now the colder weather adds to it all.
    Thanks again xxx
  • gennyf47
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Hi, Yes, I know that when I get something, I just sleep and sleep and my joints ache, feeling a bit like that at the moment, think I've got a cold coming :( Sorry you havn't been too well. Love Sue

Roll on retirement !!
    No alarm clock and I can slumber all day xx
  • gennyf47
    Options
    sharmaine wrote:
    Hi

This tired feeling must be in the air. I've felt zonked all day. Working and coping with arthur can be tough going. Try and fit in times when you can do fit in some rest time. I had to give up my job last May (I miss it) because of OA. Winter months are tougher on us arhtur sufferers. Keep joints warm - I have a few sets of thermals which came in jolly useful last year. My daughter-in-law's grandmother also knitted me a few pairs of pure woollen socks which are fab - your feet never sweat in pure wool.

I haven't had a flare up since June but I think I can feel one coming on.

Mention this to your GP at your next visit.

Regards
    Sharmaine

Thermals sound like a great idea. I think going from hot to cold temperatures doesnt help much - I walk to the bus stop in the cold, bus is boiling hot, at work is a steady temperature, but shops are also a bit odd, some too hot, some a bit cool.
    Somebody shoot me !!
    xx
  • gennyf47
    Options
    joyful164 wrote:
    Hi genny
    First of all, I'm like you, can't lose weight. Nibbling is the prob. No will power. And, of course, winter is approaching so we do what all creatures do, eat.
    My joints and muscles get very sore when a virus or bug starts attacking me. At times like that, you really do need to take a sicky if possible. You need to rest and recharge your batteries. You say that you see Occupational Health. Would your work place let you have an Access to Work assessment. Is your workplace comfortable for you? It can be tiring if it isn't. Usually Access to Work will share any cost incurred with your employer. You can get information from your Job Centre or Internet.
    I've started taking Rose Hip Capsules from Holland and Barrett. Also Kelp tablets help. It's a known fact that seaweed used in agriculture helps plants to survive long hot dry periods as well as very cold spells. Worth a try. I have checked and they are ok to take with your present meds.
    Do you keep a diary of your pain so that you can talk it through when you see your Rheumatology Consultant. Make noises if you feel you need more help.

joy

I will give the rose hip a try, do you take glucosamine, Ive heard differing reports about it's effectiveness.
    I havent been referred to a consultant, my GP just says "lose weight, excercise and painkillers", the usual mantra.
    Will see how I cope this winter then maybe see what he says.
    Thnks for your kind reply xx
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    i have had some really good months recently, no bad flares, but like others i can feel things creeping up.
    i've been feeling more achy and stiff for a week or so. last night everything hurt and today i'm the same. as for sleepy, erm, i'm always tired but sadly having an active 2 yr old who hardly ever has daytime naps anymore, i never get to nap. come bedtime i'm usually zonked out!
    also find, that my family have all had or got colds recently and although i'd don't seem to catch them, i do feel more achy, i wonder whether all my meds cover the symptoms?
    sue
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    suzster wrote:
    i have had some really good months recently, no bad flares, but like others i can feel things creeping up.
    i've been feeling more achy and stiff for a week or so. last night everything hurt and today i'm the same. as for sleepy, erm, i'm always tired but sadly having an active 2 yr old who hardly ever has daytime naps anymore, i never get to nap. come bedtime i'm usually zonked out!
    also find, that my family have all had or got colds recently and although i'd don't seem to catch them, i do feel more achy, i wonder whether all my meds cover the symptoms?
    sue
    hi sue,i think the meds do cover up symptoms.
    im totally run down at the moment,cold sore that refuses to heal on my mouth,totally lacking in energy & have felt now for weeks that im coming down with a cold.NOTHINg just a bit of a sniffle & sooo tried.
    so perhaps the paracetol are keeping things at bay for me,& perhaps you too.ive not really had a bad cold since starting my meds well over a year now,so good in 1 way.
    luv debs
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi there

I posted last week about this. I had very bad flu and my OA was very bad. I always have severe aches and pain even through meds but my meds just were not touching me at all. I also realise my immune system is really struggling to fight it off, 14 days later and I still have a sore throat and people keep remarking I have the cold, from my voice.

The other posters answered me and all agreed the flu was making me worse. The aches are still a little worse than normal as is the morning stiffness but it does seem to be alleviating.

I hope you feel better soon. Take care

Eck
    xx
  • gennyf47
    Options
    Hi there

I posted last week about this. I had very bad flu and my OA was very bad. I always have severe aches and pain even through meds but my meds just were not touching me at all. I also realise my immune system is really struggling to fight it off, 14 days later and I still have a sore throat and people keep remarking I have the cold, from my voice.

The other posters answered me and all agreed the flu was making me worse. The aches are still a little worse than normal as is the morning stiffness but it does seem to be alleviating.

I hope you feel better soon. Take care

Eck
    xx

Thanks Eck, hope you feel better soon too. It's depressing isn't it trying to get through the day with the aches and pains, and feeling so low and tired, as well as recovering from flu/cold/bugs etc
    Love Genny x